Predator Laptop screen doesn't turn on when not connected to a second monitor

Herbivore0583
Herbivore0583 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

For the past month, I've been having a very strange problem with my laptop. Normally I keep it connected to a second monitor, and disconnect it when I need to bring it somewhere (school). However, it stopped working whenever it wasn't connected to that monitor. Whenever I would boot it, the built-in keyboard would stop working and the screen would be on (backlit) but nothing would display. Plugging it back into the monitor would fix this.

Today, however, not even plugging it into the monitor would fix it. I tried everything, including reinstalling Windows, and that finally worked, however, now only the monitor screen would turn on, not the screen of the laptop itself. I eventually fixed this by changing the display settings: the laptop screen had set itself to 300.18hz refresh rate, and changing it to 300.19hz made it turn on again. Regardless, it still doesn't turn on at all when not connected to the second monitor. How do I fix this? I just need it to work without using a second monitor all the time.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    @Herbivore0583 try to update the BIOS or the Intel GPU to see if the screen issue is fixed.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Herbivore0583

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    @Herbivore0583 try to update the BIOS or the Intel GPU to see if the screen issue is fixed.
    All drivers are up to date, and the BIOS is the latest version
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Herbivore0583,

Check the signal cable connection between the monitor and the PC's graphics card. Disconnect the signal cable from both ends, wait about a minute, and reconnect it again firmly. Try a different signal cable to confirm you are not dealing with a bad cable.
  • Herbivore0583

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @Herbivore0583,

Check the signal cable connection between the monitor and the PC's graphics card. Disconnect the signal cable from both ends, wait about a minute, and reconnect it again firmly. Try a different signal cable to confirm you are not dealing with a bad cable.
    I have checked this. The problem is not with the monitor itself, as the laptop works when it is connected to the monitor. It doesn't work independently of it.
  • Herbivore0583

Tinkerer

I ended up fixing it myself. For some reason, whenever I had the laptop connected to the second monitor, and additionally was using two different background images between each monitor, it causes the refresh rate to bug and set itself higher than possible for itself, causing a black screen,