Can I flash bios from any Acer computer that uses the exact same motherboard as mine? Veriton X2610G

Frozone
Frozone Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Acer uses the same motherboard in lots of different models, and sometimes provides different bios for the different models even though they have exactly the same motherboard. Can I take a bios from a different model that uses the exact same motherboard and flash it on my computer?

Background is that I've got a Gateway SX2855 that uses the acer-h61h2-ad motherboard. It's compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge processors. Turns out that the chipset used is actually compatible with Ivy Bridge, if supported by a bios update. There's no such bios update for SX2855, but there is one for the Veriton X2610G which uses the same motherboard.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    But they do, the h61h2-ad isn't an Acer part number, it likely just is an internal number for the motherboard PCB and doesn't define what is loaded or not loaded on the PCB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Typically the answer is "no", the motherboards are not quite the same.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frozone
    edited January 2022
    billsey said:
    Typically the answer is "no", the motherboards are not quite the same.

Well, I've done a lot of investigation and have found no record of there being different revisions of the h61h2-ad motherboard. Surely acer doesn't produce multiple secretly different versions of each motherboard for each of the different models where they use it?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    But they do, the h61h2-ad isn't an Acer part number, it likely just is an internal number for the motherboard PCB and doesn't define what is loaded or not loaded on the PCB.
  • Frozone
    billsey said:
    Ohhh, that makes sense; thank you for that explanation!

There must be an actual part number for the assembled board, though; maybe one of the stickers on the board.
  • billsey
    I haven't seen their actual part numbers on the part itself, though they do have it on the bag or box it comes in. :) I don't have access to the part number for the Gateway models though, so can't look it up. :(