install dvd drive aspire tc-1660

mandy30
mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi I have aspire tc-1660 desktop, does anyone know of anywhere that has instructions on how do add a dvd writer to this machine please,I can only find user manual,I am also a novice at this

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @mandy30

If I am not mistaken, TC-1660 should come with a DVD writer, at the top middle part of the front panel area. 

Since TC-1660 has  12 volt only non-standard power supply, it is not easy to get connector cable from the outside market other than Acer. Even you can get it from Acer, the price is like an external USB DVD drive itself.

My suggestion is to get an USB external DVD writer (if you really don't have it), probably can get it for around USD $20, and it is so simple that just plug and play. No need to open up the PC and can be used between different PC.

Answers

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @mandy30

If I am not mistaken, TC-1660 should come with a DVD writer, at the top middle part of the front panel area. 

Since TC-1660 has  12 volt only non-standard power supply, it is not easy to get connector cable from the outside market other than Acer. Even you can get it from Acer, the price is like an external USB DVD drive itself.

My suggestion is to get an USB external DVD writer (if you really don't have it), probably can get it for around USD $20, and it is so simple that just plug and play. No need to open up the PC and can be used between different PC.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Some TC-1660 come with the DVD installed, some come with a blank bezel and no drive. You should be able to drop a slimline drive in to one without one, though you will also need a SATA cable, and possibly power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandy30
    No dvd writer is in it,I will look at getting an external one if they are pretty cheap,thanks for replies
  • billsey
    Yeah, it's really a toss up to go with an external or an internal...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandy30
    I think external will be better option
  • billsey
    I have an external here, since I might need to use it with a number of different computers (I don't even keep count any longer, but there are more than a dozen... :)) and most do not have one installed. I think the only times I've used it in the last few years was to install Turbotax on the laptop I use for finances.
  • mandy30
    I would like to have one just in case,going to look at upgrading memory 1st though
  • ttttt
    The last time I used the EXTERNAL drive was when I got my new laptop last year to create a recovery disc of Macrium Reflect and read a Manjaro Linux to install there. The new laptop is the only one PC that has no DVD drive.

However, I burn DVD disc frequently with different Linux distros on other PCs. It is just not easy to distinguish which one flash drive has which distro on it. The DVD disc box with the label gives some space for me to write on to give some descriptions of the Linux distro.
  • mandy30
    sorry have,nt a clue what that means but will look at getting the external one at a later date
  • ttttt
    @mandy30

What @Billsey and I are saying is that people tend to use DVD drive less and less. All its functions can be covered by flash drives nowadays. I believe the capacity limit ( 4.7 GB, if not double layer type) and slow speed making it inferior to flash drives.

Personally, I WANT to get even an external Blu-Ray drive but still think I don't NEED it. Almost all the functions are covered by flash drive except viewing Blu-Ray disc ( which I don't use).

Anyway, it is good to have an external DVD drive around in case of need for old programs on disc.
  • mandy30
    I have,nt a clue what a flash drive is,Im way behind with tech
  • ttttt
    @mandy30

Since you have multiple PCs, I'll assume you are not a beginner in the computer world.

A flash drive (sometimes referred as pen drive or thumb drive) is just an additional storage device to be inserted to the USB port ( most commonly Type-A or Type-C). Once inserted, you will see an additional drive under "This PC" other than your normal drive C:.

Just an example what a flash drive looks like ( so many in the market, good enough to confuse you if want to get one):

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-256AB-AM-Plus-256GB/dp/B07D7Q41PM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3ST7YYOR7UC9R&keywords=256+gb+flash+thumb+drive&qid=1642975304&s=electronics&sprefix=256+GB,electronics,229&sr=1-8&th=1

Flash drives will have capacities up to 256GB currently. Do not go for those no name flash drives claiming to have 1TB or 2TB capacities, as those are scams using a trick to lead Windows to believe it is a 1TB or 2TB drive and report with 1TB or 2 TB but actually it is only 32GB or 64GB inside, so be careful.
  • ttttt
    @Larryodie

Interesting to see such an external DVD drive acting like a hub.

Just doubt if all devices can be used at the same time with enough power just from one USB 3.0 port. There used to be (including my external DVD drive) USB 2.0 DVD drives that may need power from two USB 2.0 ports just to power the DVD drive alone. I think  USB 3.0 port having more power but probably still not enough to power so many ports, unless it has its own power from wall outlet.

If you have experiences with this kind of DVD drive, please let me know how it works.

For my case, my external DVD drive is in storage most of time, only come to use once in a long while.

In my non-Acer desktop, I use a 5.25" Media Dashboard allowing 8-USB ports at the front and enable the abaility to use internal SATA SSD/HDD as external drive, love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MK3F42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • mandy30
    will check it out
  • ttttt
    @mandy30

The 5.25" Media Dashboard is too big for the TC-1660.
  • mandy30
    ok thanks for letting me know
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I've never bought one but I'll read the reviews later.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited January 2022
    Here is another one with more reviews and questions. Notice that the pigtail connector is used to connect to an external power source. Both units have that pigtail. I'm like Billsey as Turbo Tax will be my need if I want it on two computers. The SD slot will be handy too.
    For some reason, I couldn't post the link but the brand is ROOFULL
  • ttttt
    @Larryodie

I think what you referred to is this link:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-External-Portable-Optical-MacBook/dp/B097D3Z56P/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=2I6375JPUZ3AY&keywords=roofull+external+cd+dvd+drive&qid=1643084737&sprefix=ROOFULL,aps,101&sr=8-7-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMEJYSk9HQ1RFMUI1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTQ1OTE2MlZVODlERUJRUDdQOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI3ODE5MzJHQjNMM0JESVpITiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Looks like it may need extra power input to allow all devices functional, as I anticipated. There are some similar external DVD drives having the functions of a hub.

I think @Mandy30 will have to make up the mind whether to go for an external DVD drive with or without the hub functions. So many choices.