X223W 22-inch Acer monitor not turning on (power LED flashing amber)..

em4rc
em4rc Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2022 in Monitors
Hello,

My Acer X223W 22-inch monitor isn't turning on, here's what's happening (and what I've done):
1. Plug power in, VGA cable into monitor and PC.
2. Press the power button on the monitor (while the PC is already powered on)
This is what happens:
-the power LED blinks amber (orange) and, every ~20 seconds, the Acer logo appears on the screen then disappears.
I tried randomly pressing and (and some times holding pressed for a few seconds) the various monitor buttons ('e', 'auto', 'menu', power) and the screen actually eventually (after ~5 minutes) turned on and I was able to use it for hours (and the picture was just fine).
But when I turned it off (to eat dinner) and tried turning it on again the same problem occurred: the power LED was flashing amber (orange) and the Acer logo would appear on the screen every ~20 seconds.
I tried randomly pressing the monitor buttons again for a few minutes, but this time the monitor would not turn on (as it did earlier today).
I've connected another monitor to my PC, using the same power cable and VGA cable, and it works as it should (I'm using it now while I type this message).
The only other post I've found here that outlines the same problem I'm having is this one from 2014:
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/269988/acer-x223w-monitor-stopped-working
But it doesn't appear as if it was resolved.
I'm having the same problem as was outlined by that post in 2014.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Thank-you in advance for any help you can offer!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Unplug all the cables from the monitor, including the power. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds to bleed off any residual electricity. Reconnect the power and your video cable and try turning it back on. That usually works when the internal settings get corrupted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @em4rc,

Did you try to connect with HDMI cable. 
  • em4rc
    billsey said:
    Unplug all the cables from the monitor, including the power. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds to bleed off any residual electricity. Reconnect the power and your video cable and try turning it back on. That usually works when the internal settings get corrupted.

Thank-you for helping!
    I did as you suggested.
    Then when I plugged in my monitor (both the power cord and the VGA cable), and pressed the power button; the Acer logo momentarily appeared.
    It then disappeared and the power button flashed amber again, then the Acer logo appeared and disappeared multiple times (with ~2 seconds On, ~2 seconds Off...).
    I watched it do that for ~1 minute, then it finally properly turned On.

It's almost like trying to start a gas engine that's been idle for too long; it takes a few tries until it finally works.

That was yesterday - I turned on my monitor today and was met with the Acer logo for ~2 seconds followed by the screen turning Off and the power button blinking amber (then the Acer logo again for ~2 seconds), and the cycle continued for a few minutes until the monitor finally properly turned On.

I'm not sure what's happening, or if the steps you gave me (and I followed) actually helped ..but the screen turned On (eventually), and all I did was follow your help, so I'm assuming it's working because of you (thank-you!).

Today, I was able to successfully turn On the monitor (upon turning it On, it flashed the Acer logo for ~2 seconds, turned Off, then flashed the Acer logo again for ~2 seconds - it did this a few more times before finally properly turning On).
    But after working for a while and stepping away for a few minutes, I think Windows kicked in the 'screensaver' (so the monitor turned Off).  I returned, noticed this, and moved the mouse around (and tapped the Windows key a few times) without the monitor turning On (sigh).  It was doing what it did in the past (Acer logo for ~2 seconds, then off for 30+ seconds, repeat).
    I proceeded to unplug all cords and try your solution again, but this time the monitor still would not turn On.
    I did it twice, still nothing.

I don't know the factors in play for why sometimes it cycles the Acer logo faster (~2 seconds Acer logo, ~2 seconds Off, ~2 seconds Acer logo...) and sometimes slower
    (~2 seconds Acer logo, 30+ seconds Off, ~2 seconds Acer logo...).

I just tried turning it On again (I plugged in the power and VGA cords, and notice the power button automatically turn to a flash amber), but now I'm noticing (I think it was there before) a faint 'chirping' sound every time the power led turns off (as it cycles from amber to nothing) while the screen remains Off.

All I know is that when it's On, the picture is perfectly okay (no flickering, etc).
    ..but it's currently off and I'm using my spare monitor while writing this - sigh.

I welcome any more help from anyone!

I will update this post should anything change.

• em4rc
    Easwar said:
    Hi @em4rc,

Did you try to connect with HDMI cable. 
    Thank-you for replying.

I'm connecting the monitor to a VGA port (integrated graphics, unfortunately not a separate graphics card).
    There's no HDMI port on the monitor, just 2 ports: DVI and VGA.
    The integrated graphics for my PC only has a VGA port.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    So that sounds like there might be a problem in the monitor that goes away once things are warmed up, and that tends to point at the power board. I'm guessing your monitor is too old to still be in warranty?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.