Laptop buying suggestions

Azeem_Izhar
Azeem_Izhar Member Posts: 1 New User
I recently secured a job as a technical writer (proposal development) in an IT firm. The company will be providing a laptop when I am in the office, but for remote work, I will need my own Laptop. I am buying a Laptop after a decade so I am willing to spend up to 1000$. I am a Windows user, not a gamer but would like my Laptop to handle programs like Solidworks, Staad, Revit, Ansys, Matlab, etc, since I have a Mechanical Engineering background. I will mostly be using these programs as a hobbyist but may do some freelance design work. Ideally, I would want 11th generation i5, dedicated graphics card and 16 GB RAM. However, 8GB RAM is also acceptable, if future upgrade is possible. SSD of 256 GB is fine, battery life of 5 hrs would be good, but 3 hrs is also acceptable. I don't care much for weight & aesthetics. I really dig a 2-in-1 type of Laptop, but do realize that they generally come with the soldered Ram.

Comments

• Azeem_Izhar

We are glad that you are showing up your interest in purchasing a brand new computer. 

Please visit the website – support.acer.com – chose your country – click on shop.   It will show you all the latest and new computers.    You can see all the models from low end to high end configurations.   You can look at all the models one by one.   Please chose the best one which suits your budget and needs.   You can also buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. 

Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   If you need more details you can call and check with them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Might start here for an I5. It is almost a thowback machine with easy expandability, DVD player/burner, and a RJ45 (ethernet) socket.
  • I recently secured a job as a technical writer (proposal development) in an IT firm. The company will be providing a laptop when I am in the office, but for remote work, I will need my own Laptop. I am buying a Laptop after a decade so I am willing to spend up to 1000$. I am a Windows user, not a gamer but would like my Laptop to handle programs like Solidworks, Staad, Revit, Ansys, Matlab, etc, since I have a Mechanical Engineering background. I will mostly be using these programs as a hobbyist but may do some freelance design work. Ideally, I would want 11th generation i5, dedicated graphics card and 16 GB RAM. However, 8GB RAM is also acceptable, if future upgrade is possible. SSD of 256 GB is fine, battery life of 5 hrs would be good, but 3 hrs is also acceptable. I don't care much for weight & aesthetics. I really dig a 2-in-1 type of Laptop, but do realize that they generally come with the soldered Ram.

For $1000 you should look at the specs and at what SOLIDWORKS adequately recommends as it seems that this software is the most demanding? As with SoldWorks you ideally need a minimum of a 3.0GHz CPU or higher, 16GB RAM or more and an SSD drive recommended for optimal performance and their list of certified GPU  cards and drivers (click the link to get the list certified SolidWorks specs) for their 2021 suggested SOLIDWORKS range to manuafcturers as what they suggest with an Acer laptop is the ConceptD 7 Ezel Pro with the Quadro RTX5000 GPU, which has a huge price of like 7 times your budget at $7000 USD but, there are other alternatives as a guide so look at those from the llink above, as SolidWorks seems that its the most intensive software that you would be running, so take a guide from their list and compare the Acer laptops to those specs, as $1000 will not get you much withn the upper SolidWorks range.  

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited February 2022
    I'd suggest a A317 with I5 or I7 cpu, 8GB RAM, and a TB SSD. I also suggest a separate keyboard, mouse, and 22 or 24" external display.
    Suspect you could get a A317-52-565S and all the rest for under $1k.