Can I add more storage to my Acer Aspire 3 A315-42-R9MQ

Jumuu
Jumuu Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi, so my laptop currently have only 250 GB storage and I want to increase it. I let the shop open it and there is indeed space to put in another storage, but the motherboard doesn't have a slot to plug it in (he said to contact acer to see if there's driver or modification or something). I wonder if any have this experience before.

Best Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    @Jumuu your model might not have this HDD connector board. You can contact Acer for getting this part or search LS-H802P. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the mainboard should have a  connector for an extra 2.5" HDD or SSD up to 2TB capacity. A flat ribbon cable is needed to connect the mainboard to the 2.5" SSD or HDD. Part no. 50.HF4N2.001

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    @Jumuu your model might not have this HDD connector board. You can contact Acer for getting this part or search LS-H802P. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the mainboard should have a  connector for an extra 2.5" HDD or SSD up to 2TB capacity. A flat ribbon cable is needed to connect the mainboard to the 2.5" SSD or HDD. Part no. 50.HF4N2.001

Jack E/NJ

• Jumuu
    Thank you for the quick answer! My laptop does not have that connectors for a 2.5” SSD. I will see if I can get that part and if it fixes my problem.
  • Jumuu
    @JackE I see you answer a few question like this before. Is that the only part I would need? Would I need a HDD bracket and board as well?
  • JackE
    Sorry, if that 2.5" HDD/SSD connector is missing, your mainboard buss might not support the drive. In this case, you should buy a one or two TB m.2 SSD to replace the 250GB m.2 SSD. For example, a one TB Western Digital Blue series would be a good choice.

Jack E/NJ

• Jumuu
    Oh I see. Yeah I was wondering why I see the port in the motherboard but there's no cable. Is there a way to check for sure if the board support the drive or not?
  • JackE
    If you actually see the connector is on the motherboard where the red arrow points, then it should support the 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD. But as mentioned earlier, you need to buy the cable part no. 50.HF4N2.001. to connect the 2.5" SSD/HDD to the motherboard. The 2.5" drive itself can be immobilized and protected with foam, not necessary to install an 2.5" drive frame with screws. However, if it was my laptop, I would just exchange the 250GB m.2 card with a bigger 1TB  or 2TB Western Digital Blue m.2 card to get more storage. Much cleaner, less clutter, less weight and less power than installing another 2.5" drive.

Jack E/NJ