Some keys stopped working Acer E1-532

Chomchom
Chomchom Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Aspire Laptops
After a minor water spill on the keyoard and the base of the laptop, I picked up the laptop within seconds from the puddle and wiped it dry. I did not shut down the computer at all ut disconnected the AC supply immediately after the spill. I then noticed that approx. 1/5 of the keys were not working. Over a month later the situation is still the same.  I read that takin the keyboard apart and cleaning with alcohol can fix the problem. But I also read that it can be a case of damaged motherboard. Laptop has been working  flawlessly  otherwise. What could be the issue here?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The contacts on the key switches under each keycover and possibly the keyboard connector to the mainboard have likely been corroded from the spill. You can try re-seating the keyboard mainboard connector a few times to help clean these contacts. Not much can be done with individual key switches except replacing the keyboard

The easiest solution is an external USB or bluetooth keyboard. Or if you're more adventuresome, replace the keyboard. Depending on the model, replacement keyboards are fairly inexpensive. Google search 'your full model number' and 'keyboard' for vendors who ship to your location.

Jack E/NJ

• Chomchom

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    JackE said:
    The contacts on the key switches under each keycover and possibly the keyboard connector to the mainboard have likely been corroded from the spill. You can try re-seating the keyboard mainboard connector a few times to help clean these contacts. Not much can be done with individual key switches except replacing the keyboard

The easiest solution is an external USB or bluetooth keyboard. Or if you're more adventuresome, replace the keyboard. Depending on the model, replacement keyboards are fairly inexpensive. Google search 'your full model number' and 'keyboard' for vendors who ship to your location.
    Thanks!  Just so i understand, are you  suggesting that its not a motherboard issue ? 
    Also, is reseating the main connector a few times likely to fix all the unresponsive keys? Would i need the  alcohol  solution at all ?
    Its an  Acer E1-532  laptop, btw.
  • JackE
    Reseating the KB connector on the motherboard might fix the unresponsive keys. But not 100% guaranteed. And it requires considerable disassembly. You have to remove all the  bottom screws, ODD, HDD and separate the bottom and top covers in order to access the connector. You can moisten a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol to wipe contacts. 

Jack E/NJ

• Chomchom

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Reseating the KB connector on the motherboard might fix the unresponsive keys. But not 100% guaranteed. And it requires considerable disassembly. You have to remove all the  bottom screws, ODD, HDD and separate the bottom and top covers in order to access the connector. You can moisten a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol to wipe contacts. 
    Did the reseating of the main keyboard connector after cleaning with hand sanitizer (78% alcohol). No luck. Before I order a replacement keyboard, is there any way to confirm that a new keyboard is the solution (as in, for example, knowing for a fact if the motherboard is fine)?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    The contacts in a keyboard feed a matrix of signal lines. If just some stop working it is probably one signal line, OTOH the NumLock being stuck can cause others to misalign. See here.
  • JackE
    >>>Before I order a replacement keyboard, is there any way to confirm that a new keyboard is the solution (as in, for example, knowing for a fact if the motherboard is fine)? >>>

Go to this link. Repeatedly test/pound-on the problem keys. If they seem to work intermittently, then the mainboard is probably fine.

Jack E/NJ

• Chomchom

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    The contacts in a keyboard feed a matrix of signal lines. If just some stop working it is probably one signal line, OTOH the NumLock being stuck can cause others to misalign. See here.
    Thanks for the suggestions. How do I know which signal line maybe the culprit, and how do I fix it? Thanks for any help!
  • JackE
    Difficult if not impossible without buying a mainboard schematic on line. Costs run about $20-30 usd. Then there's no guarantee that you can fix  mainboard lines since they require special tools.

If it was mine, I'd probably take a chance and replace the keyboard since it's so inexpensive. A mainboard problem is a lot more difficult to chase down, a lot more expensive. and likely mpractical for a 10-year old laptop design. 

Jack E/NJ

• Chomchom

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Before I order a replacement keyboard, is there any way to confirm that a new keyboard is the solution (as in, for example, knowing for a fact if the motherboard is fine)? >>>

Go to this link. Repeatedly test/pound-on the problem keys. If they seem to work intermittently, then the mainboard is probably fine.
    Tried that,  no response from the keys in question. Any point in replacing the keyboard if the motherboard is cooked? I feel strange writing that because the laptop works w/o any problem otherwise.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Chomchom

Have you tried connecting an external USB keyboard to the laptop and test it out? Everything point to just the laptop keyboard problem. I'll bet you have some burnt out wires with the ribbon cable.

As @JackE said, replacing the keyboard is pratical. 
  • Chomchom

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @Chomchom

Have you tried connecting an external USB keyboard to the laptop and test it out? Everything point to just the laptop keyboard problem. I'll bet you have some burnt out wires with the ribbon cable.

As @JackE said, replacing the keyboard is pratical. 
    Yup, the USB keyboard worked perfectly. That's tell tale sign of the problem being limited to the keyboard only then, eh?
    I am going to order a keyboard.
  • JackE
    Good for you. Let us know how it goes.

Jack E/NJ

• Chomchom

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sure will! Thanks!
  • Chomchom

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    So it turns out that finding a Canadian keyboard, the type the laptop has is next to impossible within a reasonable price given the age of the laptop. One  rare economical unit I found has what it calls an  US keyboard. Trouble is that the keyboard on the laptop(circled in the attachment)  is just a tad different than the available keyboard. Do the two types interoperate?
  • ttttt
    @Chomchom

That circled part seemed to be an oversized return key. If the layout of other keys are good, should not be a problem.
  • JackE
    It'll be fine. The same motherboards accept more than 50 keyboards. If you can wait a few weeks, google search 'e1-532', 'keyboard', 'aliexpress' 'canada' or 'us' for better selections.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    @Chomchom

@JackE found you one at unbelievable low price. Go for it.