Acer GN246HL - 3 Faint Horizontal Lines Spanning Screen Width (at 60, 120, and 144Hz)

Options
yellowsnow4free
yellowsnow4free Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everyone,

I was recently given an Acer GN246HL. The monitor works perfectly with the exception of 3 horizontal lines (1px tall each) that span the width of the screen. The lines aren't a solid color, just slightly lighter than the rows above/below. I swear the lines are slightly less noticeable on the leftmost part of the screen too. The lines are static and don't move.

My GPU drivers are up to date, and I tried connecting a different computer over HDMI instead of DVI; same problem.

Interestingly, the lines aren't visible during the monitor boot splash screen, and seem to be most prevalent at 144Hz, but with 60Hz and 120Hz closely behind. The lines are almost invisible at 100Hz for some reason.

I've ran JScreenFix Deluxe and a couple YouTube videos overnight and I swear the problem was lessened after the 1st overnight run, but it's hard to be sure.

I also tried out LightBoost using ToastyX Strobelight and the problem is still there with/without LightBoost and even at some other Hz settings.

The monitor is in mint shape, so I don't think the lines are due to physical damage. Also, my friend didn't mention anything about burn-in when he gave it to me, so I doubt that happened either.

I will say, I think it might've been a while since the monitor was last used, and looking around online people have said the issue might clear itself up after several days of use.

Sorry to ramble on, but any info would be helpful! I can also try and take some pictures to get a better idea of the issue.

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sounds like the cable isn't quite up to snuff... Have you a different one you can test with?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • yellowsnow4free
    Options
    billsey said:
    Sounds like the cable isn't quite up to snuff... Have you a different one you can test with?
    Thanks for the reply billsey!

did try connecting another computer over HDMI and I saw the same problem.  However, I'll try using another DVI cable (granted, it'll only be at 60Hz) to see if that makes a difference.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Please do. It still might be an issue with the HDMI connector, but most often the cable is at fault.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • yellowsnow4free
    edited January 2022
    Options
    billsey said:
    Please do. It still might be an issue with the HDMI connector, but most often the cable is at fault.
    Thanks again for the reply billsey!

I just tried using a single link DVI cable and I can still see the lines at 60Hz.

Interestingly, I can this video last night at 144Hz with max brightness and saturation, as well as setting the colors to warm instead of cool.  I've ran it once before and I swear the problem is lessening each time.  Now the lines are almost invisible at 60Hz; they were much more visible before.

I'll probably let it run again soon.  Still funny that at 100Hz I basically can't see the lines at all.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @yellowsnow4free,

Monitor self test,

1. Power OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug all the cables.
    3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    4. Turn ON the unit and check.