Will there be tpm module for the TC-280?

Options
exscentricone
exscentricone Member Posts: 5 New User
edited January 2022 in Windows 11
Will there be tpm module for the TC-280?  Can't believe a unit this new won't run windows 11.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Well, since the TC-280 was released right at the change from Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (2015 IIRC), it's not actually a very new system. With Intel processors the dividing line is between the 7th gen and 8th gen processors. They tend to release a new gen each year and this year (2022) is the 12th gen year, the 7th to 8th change happened between 2017 and 2018, so four to five years...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • exscentricone
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  Sorry, don't follow the details of processor geneology.  I bought it 12-1-2017 for little over $400 - had a 7 inch hp tablet with windows bought in 2015 for $80 that had tpm.  Just seemed odd to me.  Thanks again.

• exscentricone
    Options
    This has the following processor if that helps:  AMD A10 Seriers 7800 APU.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    W11 requires more than just TPM 2.0, the A10 isn't listed in the supported AMD processors that I can find.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @exscentricone

Agree with @Billsey. Your PC's CPU  is just not ready for W11.
  • exscentricone
    Options
    The wording on Microsoft's message about cpus indicates other cpus may be added to their list of acceptable for windows 11.  I can always hope :-)  Thus if mine is added in the future I was wanting to know if there would be a tpm module. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    I'd check with Acer Store to verify if one is available. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @exscentricone

I will not have high hope for the TC-280 being able to upgrade to Win 11, as AMD A10-7800 is still not close to an Intel 8th generation CPU.
  • exscentricone
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info folks!  At least Win 10 will still be around for awhile :-)
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well the Intel Ark will tell you if a particular CPU has TPM. TPM equipped CPUs have been around since about 2014 (mostly tablets) some motherboards have a TPM socket. Chips are about $15 but must have the right socket. Both Apple and Chrome have End Of Life dates (I have a 14" Chromebook that has a June 2022 end of support.) Just Microsoft is joining the crows with Window 11.

Now have a number of devices running Windows 11 and see no real advantage over Windows 10.