AN515-57-79U4 (NH.QEUSA.001) -- Support for PCIE4 M.2 NVME SSDs and Thunderbolt 4 via USB-C?

Options
ben1985
ben1985 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop (specifically, the AN515-57-79U4/NH.QEUSA.001). Initial research (based on manufacturer data sheets, retailer product listings, and user reports) indicated that both PCIE4 M.2 NVME SSDs and Thunderbolt 4 via USB-C are supported. However, this doesn't appear to be the case, as there are no Thunderbolt 4 related options within the BIOS (even after updating to the latest version of 1.14) or Windows device manager. Could someone please confirm whether both the primary and secondary M.2 slots support the installation of PCIE4 M.2 NVME SSDs (i.e. aren't limited to PCIE3 bandwidth) and if the USB-C slot has support for Thunderbolt 4? The absence of either would be a dealbreaker, but the latter would be baffling, as it's present on the inexpensive AN515-57 models.

Answers

• ben1985

Tinkerer

Options
    After performing additional testing, I can confirm that the AN515-57-79U4/NH.QEUSA.001 does NOT support Thunderbolt 4 or DisplayPort Alternate Mode via USB-C. Hence, the display configuration is limited to a single external display via HDMI. The absence of this functionality is quite baffling, as it's present on the less expensive AN515-57-54ZA/NH.QDGSA.002. The inconsistency between models within the same product family and the overall ambiguity of the data sheets is quite appalling, and is seemingly creating confusion for both retailers and consumers.
  • ben1985

Tinkerer

Options
    Additionally, I can confirm that both the primary and secondary M.2 slots support the installation of PCIE4 M.2 NVME SSDs and aren't limited to PCIE3 bandwidth, as tested with a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB using the latest firmware version of 5B2QGXA7. However, I wouldn't recommend purchasing the Samsung 980 Pro, as there seems to be a fundamental issue with the SLC cache flushing algorithm, resulting in significant performance degradation that is only recovered upon reboot.

Finally, to circumvent the lack of Thunderbolt 4 via USB-C and achieve a multiple display configuration, I opted for a USB-C docking station utilising DisplayLink technology. Whilst this isn't ideal (due to the performance overhead associated with DisplayLink), it seemingly works OK, as games are outputted directly to the display connected via HDMI and productivity applications are outputted indirectly to the displays connected via DisplayLink.