Help with which GPUs support this motherboard - Aspire TC-865

1205 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello, someone recently bought a Aspire TC-865 for me and I want to upgrade it but I don't know which specs this motherboard supports or if I should get a new one. Here's a picture of the motherboards name and stuff I got from CPU-Z. I just want to know what kind of GPU this can handle because I'm fine with the CPU it has

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Comments

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @1205

Can you tell us your PC's full model number and its hardware configuration. From the picture, I can tell it is using PCIe 3.0 motherboard with B360 chipset.

Any specific reason that you want an upgrade?
    Since your PC is not that old, if pairing with M.2 NVMe SSD, it should be a rather capable maachine. If still using traditional, spinning HDD you will find it slow.

If you want to go heavy gaming, then upgrading to dedicated graphics card is a MUST. If not, just the on-board graphics will be fine.

However, different graphics cards have different power supply requirements. You may want to decide your budget and how good a graphics card that you want and then match the power supply with it. One more thing to check is open up your PC and see if the main power connector to the motherboard is the standard 24-pin type, as many modern Acer destops use 12 volt only PSU with 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors to the motherboard. Your TC-865 should be still using the standard ATX PSU, that should save you some future problems when trying to match the graphics card. Most modern, powerful graphics cards on the market are for the PCIe 3.0 motherboards.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    The TC-865 models use an 8th gen CPU. I believe most, if not all, of those models used a 65W TDP CPU. You can replace what you have now with any other 8th gen CPU that has a 65W TDP. If you try to go to a CPU with a higher TDP you will also have to revamp the cooling to handle the extra heat load. You should be able to put in pretty much any GPU as long as your power supply handles it. So, look at the GPU specs and follow their numbers for power supply. Your system is old enough to use the 24 pin ATX power supply connector, so there are lots to choose from.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.