Updating to UEFI - Aspire TC-1660-EB11

conch13
conch13 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hey everyone just wondering if it is possible to update my BIOS to UEFI. 

There is no selection for UEFI in my BIOS, but I checked in the settings menu and it states it's UEFI.

I know the motherboard is an American Megetrends Inc. And on there website there is a downloadable update for UEFI but I don't want to go doing things I can't undo or screw anything up. 

Has anyone done this before? And resources I can look into to decide whether or not I should do it?

Thanks !

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Your PC is a modern PC, so it has UEFI as the boot mode only. Only those five years or older PCs will have Legacy boot mode only or both UEFI and Legacy available. Even if you can change it to Legacy mode, it will most likely do more damages than good things for your PC. So, don't think about it.

Go to Task Manger , check the Memory section of the Performance tab and check the speed that your RAM sticks are running.
    Even if you use RAM sticks with frequency higher than what is indicated by the memory section, you'll still get that indicated speed.
    There are the motherboard bus speed limit and the CPU speed limits to be considered.

I believe your PC has i5-11400, cannot do CPU overclocking. If the BIOS does not have anything called XMP oveclocking, you cannot overclock the memory to a higher speed either. Check the BIOS in more details for this XMP feature, if it has it.

2133 MHZ seemed like the base speed for PCIe 4.0 motherboards.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Oh! If you use XMP RAM stick to a motherboard without XMP feature turned on, the PC will use the 2133 MHZ base speed.

My PC with i5-11500 CPU had the same 2133 MHz speed before I turned on the XMP.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

No wonder you only got 2133 MHz. You got XMP RAM instead of non-XMP RAM. If you can return the XMP RAM, go do it and get something like 3000 MHz of non-XMP type.  You will get maybe something close to 2933 MHZ this way.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    This is from my TC-895-UA92 safe mode page ( hold shift while restarting). I don't know any more except it helps to give more information like the Model # . 
  • conch13
    Hey I have done that already and it just brings me to the old blue BIOS options and there isn't much selection in there.

When you click the UEFI selection does it show up as a blue bios or do you get a different screen?
  • Larryodie
    I don't know ?  It just says UEFI setting and I don't need to be in there. :)
  • Larryodie
    My Bios has BOOT: UEFI ,not changeable that I know. TC-895-UA92. 
    Why won't you post your Model Number if you want help ? No one is a mind reader. 
  • conch13
    edited January 2022

@Larryodie
    Its an Aspire  TC-1660-EB11 my bad I
     made the post in a rush!

Thanks for responding tho, I was mostly wondering if anyone has updated from the old style BIOs to newer UEFI.

I have also read that there are secret keyboard combinations that will unlock the advanced BIOS settings which would be what I'm looking for.

Any idea on what those combinations would be?
  • Create a password in SUPERVISOR PASSWORD. Then send a photo of what appears here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • conch13
    @egydiocoelho Ok I will try that and get back to you
  • conch13
    This is what I got after setting the password
  • conch13
    Sorry first pic was wrong
  • conch13

I understand it says UEFI but I cannot change any settings, the selection in here is very sparse.

Recently upgraded my RAM to 2 16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance cards and I would like to turn them up  as they are only operating at  2133MHz.

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Your PC is a modern PC, so it has UEFI as the boot mode only. Only those five years or older PCs will have Legacy boot mode only or both UEFI and Legacy available. Even if you can change it to Legacy mode, it will most likely do more damages than good things for your PC. So, don't think about it.

Go to Task Manger , check the Memory section of the Performance tab and check the speed that your RAM sticks are running.
    Even if you use RAM sticks with frequency higher than what is indicated by the memory section, you'll still get that indicated speed.
    There are the motherboard bus speed limit and the CPU speed limits to be considered.

I believe your PC has i5-11400, cannot do CPU overclocking. If the BIOS does not have anything called XMP oveclocking, you cannot overclock the memory to a higher speed either. Check the BIOS in more details for this XMP feature, if it has it.

2133 MHZ seemed like the base speed for PCIe 4.0 motherboards.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Oh! If you use XMP RAM stick to a motherboard without XMP feature turned on, the PC will use the 2133 MHZ base speed.

My PC with i5-11500 CPU had the same 2133 MHz speed before I turned on the XMP.
  • conch13
    edited January 2022

Thanks again for your response! big help as always. I now realize my CPU has no overclocking capabilities which is fine I wasnt looking at overclocking my CPU just looking at boosting my RAM... which i wont be doing because my UEFI does not feature XMP.

I was just hoping to maybe get access to a little more in my UEFI cause the selection is pretty slim, thinking that i would be able to get access to a UEFI more like in the picture I provided.

Those UEFI settings are what i guess comes with an aftermarket Motherboard?

Thanks again for all the responses they are greatly appreciated and are helping me learn this stuff!

• ttttt
    @conch13

Glad that I could answer your question.

Somehow, I agree that 2133 MHz RAM is too slow for a i5-11400 CPU desktop with a PCIe 4.0 motherboard (expect it can handle about 2666-3200 MHz range for non-XMP RAM).
    Can you give more information about your "RAM to 2 16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance cards", I mean if you can come up with the model number it will be better. I suspect it is the case of XMP memory sticks being used by mistake without the XMP option turned on ( currently, assuming no such feature in BIOS). For my i5-11500 CPU desktop using ASUS motherboard, the X.M.P. option is at the first page of BIOS under the DRAM Status section. I'll advise you to triple check your the BIOS, particularly the Advanced tab and anything similar to "DRAM Status".

When you received your RAM sticks, did you see  the keyword "XMP" on the package or the label?
  • conch13
    @ttttt

The cards are Intel XMP Certified.

Model # CMH32GX4M2E3200C16W

And I will look again under the advanced section but have been in there quite a bit lately and cannot seem to find anything that really does much in there lol.

It seems like it's been locked down to prevent any tinkering its a stock motherboard for the TC-1660-EB11 but I will look again and see what I can find.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

No wonder you only got 2133 MHz. You got XMP RAM instead of non-XMP RAM. If you can return the XMP RAM, go do it and get something like 3000 MHz of non-XMP type.  You will get maybe something close to 2933 MHZ this way.
  • conch13
    OK good to know I figure I'll just keep them as they make a difference as it stands thanks again 👍