I'm changing CPU how do I know if it will work?

JohnVict
JohnVict Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
So I just got an new, or actually used desktop computer.

And I'm gonna change the CPU.

How do I know which CPU's will work with it?

I read the most important thing is the socket, and I found some CPU's that will work with the socket of the computer.

But then I also read that the BIOS has to work with the CPU. I might go with an older CPU than I have now. Will the BIOS be bacwards compatible and work with older CPU's?

Also I read that the chipset has to work with the CPU. But how do I check if the new replacement CPU will work with the chipset of the motherboard?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please tell us the model name of your PC, the CPU in it and the CPU you are going to upgrade, we can tell you whether it's compatible or not.
  • JohnVict

It is an eMachines EL 1850 and I think the motherboard is an Acer Aspire X1900.

It has LGA775 socket.

the current CPU is Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6700.

I'm looking at replacing it with an Intel Pentium D of some model, or Intel Celeron D of some kind. Probably made earlier than the motherboard.

But I also want to know how to check this in the future for myself for new possible combinations of CPU's and motherboards and chipsets and BIOS.

Basically how to check compatibility?

So, how does one go about checking the compatibility given the current CPU, BIOS, motherboard and the like?

• JohnVict
    I will check the details.

But I also want to know how to check this in general.

So given the motherboard and current CPU, how do I check compatibility.

I can see what CPU I have now and what socket the motherboard has. Also I can check what BIOS I have and I can see some of the chips on the chipset.

What information is needed. And given that information how does one go about to check what chips will work?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Your CPU is a Wolfdale-3M and you should be able to replace it with another from the same family. Unfortunately yours is only one small step from the top. What else are the specs for your system, likely there are much better options for an upgrade. CPU is typically third or fourth in the list.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sam12345
    sam12345 Member Posts: 1 New User
    me too
    my computer is an Aspire T with an i7 4790
    i want to change it but i dont know what the equivalent is. can anyone help me?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,450 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    sam12345 said:
    me too
    my computer is an Aspire T with an i7 4790
    i want to change it but i dont know what the equivalent is. can anyone help me?
    First, is your desktop the Aspire TC-705 i7-4790 Desktop? As that comes with the Intel Core i7-4790 CPU (<<< see this link for all upgradable 4th Gen cpu upgrades) which are a 2014 cpu and an Intel named them "Haswell" and they are a Socket 1150. IMO and if you have the i7-4790 which is a 4 core max turbo frequency of 4.0Gh and 3.6Gh normal frequency that came with your Aspire TC-xxx, there won't be much of an advantage if you upgrading your Acer OEM cpu to the top spec 4th Gen cpu that is the Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4 core and runs at a max turbo frequency of 4.4Gh and base frequency of 4.0Gh and has an 8MB cache) as the i7-4790 as they both have the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 and upgrading will not give much performance increase for the money that you will spend upgrading. Both of these cpu's Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) is: 32 GB but come OEM with max 16GB and with types Memory of: DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V but, you could upgrade this to a max 32GB with some of the newer and more modern RAM modules that are available today, so do the Crucial System Scan to find out exactly? 

IMO, the best upgrades for you to make for your Aspire TC-xxx desktop so that it perform quicker/better is to have the max max RAM that your desktop can have and for you to spend your money on an excellent 2.5" SSD boot drive like the Samsung EVO SATA-3 6GB/sec type drives and also make sure that you have upgraded the bios to the last update for your exact TC-xxx desktop that you have so that it can run Win-10. 

You can also upgrade your TC-xxx from its OEM AMD Radeon R7 340 gpu a AMD Radeon HD 7790 gpu or similar as just this upgrade will give you 100% more graphics performance to the OEM gpu but, any higher spec gpu's, you will need to change the OEM PSU to a higher power.

All in all your desktop is a worthwhile upgradable desktop (as parts a cheap) if you want a 2014 spec web browser or a lower end gaming platform? As I would definitely install Win-10 Home or Pro 64bit as it will run very well. But you need to update all windows updates and gpu and mobo drivers so that your Aspire TC will function 100% and at its speediest performance. That is what I've done with many of these older laptops and desktops and all 2nd 3rd and 4th 5th Gen Intel cpu's that have functioned very well with Win-10 Home or Pro as Win-11 is restricted and these cpu;s will not be compatible with this new OS. Good luck and hope this helps you out, cheers.