Acer Swift 3 SF314-54-55S5 Display Screen Issues - known problem?

iandv
iandv Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello

My Acer Swift 3 i5 (model SF314-54-55S5) is just over 2 years old and the screen on the laptop has developed this issue.  Apart from the very top of the screen display which is fine the rest is covered in very thin black lines. I have tried an external monitor and the display is fine so its not a graphics card problem. 

The laptop has been really taken care of and has suffered no damage, any ideas what is causing this and is it a common/known issue or fault with Swift 3 laptops?  It's really disappointing that a Acer laptop has not lasted more than 2 years.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

has displayed a fault

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    iandv

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue..   Turn off the computer.   Tap f2 while turning on the computer.   It will go to bios.   Please stay on the bios screen for 30 mins.    If the display is looking good on bios then it is a software issue.   If the display is not looking good on the bios screen then it is a hardware issue.   

If it is a software issue try the following the steps..

Try windows x 
    go to device manager 
    expand display adapter
    right click on display driver - uninstall 
    Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 
    Uninstall the display adapter from device manager 
    Don’t restart the computer. 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers 
    Install the display driver 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• iandv
    Thanks William - the screen issue is still showing on the BIOS screen.

Also if I attach an external monitor via the laptop HDMI port the display is fine on the monitor which leads me to think its a hardware issue otherwise the screen display issue would also show on the external monitor?

If this is a hardware issue is this a common LCD issue with Acer Swift 3 laptops such as cracked wiring issues in the hinge, motherboard issues etc?  and is there a resolution?
  • iandv
    Does anybody have any ideas if this LCD screen issue is a common fault on the Acer Swift 3 laptops?  especially one that is just over 2 years old and well looked after.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    It is not a common fault, though there are instances like it on almost every model occasionally. My guess is there is something going on in the cable that runs between the motherboard and the display. It's not unusual for that to develop cracks in the wires where they are flexed during opening and closing the lid. It unusual to see that on a system that is so new, I usually start seeing it on systems in the 5-7 year of age range. It is possible the issue isn't in the cable, but in the display itself, but that is much rarer.
    The Acer part number on the cable is: 450.0E70D.0011. You might do some investigation to see if it's only one end pulling loose instead of an internal error...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • iandv
    thanks @billsey this is really helpful.  The retailer wants an independent report showing its a manufacturing issue not user caused, before they will do any repair or replacement - which is a little frustrating. 

Your response backs up my initial thoughts - under consumer law in the UK the laptop should be of satisfactory quality (in this case the laptop should be durable as its an expensive/premium laptop that has been well looked after and the screen has stopped working after a relatively short period of time)

How would you investigate if its only one end pulling?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    If the retailer is expecting it to only cover the issue if Acer says it's a design defect they really aren't being helpful... They should either have a technical department to diagnose the problem or a tech partner.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
  • Saf786
    Saf786 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @iandv I think it is a common issue. My laptop is SF313 model, just 7 months old and I got this same issue as shown. It's not even a year old so using it roughly is completely out of the question since I am very careful in handling. It was sitting idle on my table and I was just taking down notes and it happened all of a sudden. It has already been reported as screen issue by the service engineer. Idk how can it be without even checking for any other loose ends. Although I confirmed it is not a software problem but a hardware one. The service provider also adviced me to use it more cautiously and it is kind of funny coz I am already using it like a baby. 
  • Denglopez
    Denglopez Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yes I have this issue too and it just 4 months since I bought this.  I brought it to service center and have it repaired; 4 months after and the black screen issue happened again. Kind of frustrating because im not using it that much because im too careful with it prefers to use my 12-year old laptop than this. 
  • isuru21
    isuru21 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

This looks like a common issue in the acer swift 3 laptops. My swift 3 laptop also faced to the same display issue. At least I even couldn't use it 3 months. I'm really frustrated about this. I already found more than 10 posts in the regarding this issue in the community. Most of them faced to this less than a year period from the day they bouth their laptops. As far I seen from the others post mostly 3:2 aspect displays faced to this issue. It' s really sad acer still didn't take any action .

To replace the display it cost me 130$. After the repair the repairmen told me be extra careful with the display because the display is ultra thin easily damageble. But when the time I first encounter the display issue I was also caring my laptop like a baby. I don't how should I caring this laptop now.

• Taroccoesbrocco
    Taroccoesbrocco Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2022

I have exactly the same issue in my new laptop Acer Swift 3, just after 4 months I bought it. I'm very frustrated. I knew that this is a common issue (see the last comments just above) I would have never bought an Acer Swift 3. I hope the problem can be repaired soon thanks to the 1-year warranty.