My Acer desktopTC-120-EB20 is down. Any help to restore it?

amigofelix
amigofelix Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
My Acer TC-120-EB20 suddenly failed to turn on after downloading a DVD burner! Despite reboot, system restore to a few previous points, it still fails to work. The message is" you must restore the drive that contains the windows". I am using windows 10. Is this the warning that the hard drive is damaged or broken and must be replaced! If replaced, would all my data in the computer would be gone. Or should I buy a new computer? Anyone helps me? Thanks. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Downloading a DVD burner app shouldn't cause an y issues, unless it has some sort of malware built in, like the cracks often do. The problem is that your system isn't able to boot from the drive, and that can be a drive problem as you guess, a software problem with what's on the drive (such as what ransomware does) or a hardware problem with the interface between the MB and the drive. Your computer is old enough that it might be worthwhile to replace rather than go through the effort of fixing it. Only you and your wallet can make that decision. :)
    To diagnose the issue it's best to use a Windows install flash drive. If you don't have one already you will want to use a different computer to create it. Once you have it you will go into the BIOS and verify that the F12 Boot Menu is enabled and the Secure Boot setting is disabled. Then you boot from the flash drive by using the F12 key and choosing the USB. Go to the second screen for Install and choose Repair, then navigate through the options until you get to a command prompt. In the command prompt use diskpart to look at your disks, at the volumes and at the partitions on each disk. Take pictures and share them with us and we'll move on to the next step.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Downloading a DVD burner app shouldn't cause an y issues, unless it has some sort of malware built in, like the cracks often do. The problem is that your system isn't able to boot from the drive, and that can be a drive problem as you guess, a software problem with what's on the drive (such as what ransomware does) or a hardware problem with the interface between the MB and the drive. Your computer is old enough that it might be worthwhile to replace rather than go through the effort of fixing it. Only you and your wallet can make that decision. :)
    To diagnose the issue it's best to use a Windows install flash drive. If you don't have one already you will want to use a different computer to create it. Once you have it you will go into the BIOS and verify that the F12 Boot Menu is enabled and the Secure Boot setting is disabled. Then you boot from the flash drive by using the F12 key and choosing the USB. Go to the second screen for Install and choose Repair, then navigate through the options until you get to a command prompt. In the command prompt use diskpart to look at your disks, at the volumes and at the partitions on each disk. Take pictures and share them with us and we'll move on to the next step.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amigofelix
    amigofelix Member Posts: 2 New User
    Many thanks for your informative reply. I think it's time to replace the old computer now, just as you suggested.