aspire xc 1660 Is there a slot for a M2 SSD?

Options
MooreMoose
MooreMoose Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have the aspire xc 1660. I have a 1tb hdd drive that came with it but I would like to have a ssd in there that I can boot windows from to add a little speed. 
But I would like to keep the 1tb as a 2nd drive.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,451 Trailblazer
    Options
    I have the aspire xc 1660. I have a 1tb hdd drive that came with it but I would like to have a ssd in there that I can boot windows from to add a little speed. 
    But I would like to keep the 1tb as a 2nd drive.
    Run the Crucial System Scanner that will give you all the RAM and 2.5" and M.2 SSD drives upgrades for your PC that Crucial makes and fits your PC.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of the laptop, is it XC-785? There's no XC 1660 model available.
  • MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of the laptop, is it XC-785? There's no XC 1660 model available.
    It's a desktop PC not a laptop
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, I made a mistake by typing laptop, I meant the model name of whatever unit you have.
  • MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

Yes, I made a mistake by typing laptop, I meant the model name of whatever unit you have.
    Aspire XC-1660
    (DT.BGWEK.003)
  • MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    I have this port on the motherboard.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD, the slot in your first picture is for WiFi card, the slot in the second picture is for M.2 SSD.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46968486
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @MooreMoose

Yes, get a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 2 TB for your XC-1660.

As far as I know, some XC-1660 and xc-1160G-UW93 have the 11th gen Intel CPU, thus must be using PCIe 4.0 motherboards.

If the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 too, people can even use a PCIe 4.0  x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (7,000 MB/s read). I am using gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD with one of my desktops using PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

I always try to get confirmation from XC-1660 or XC-1660G_UW93 users whether they can use gen 4 M.2 SSD. At least you can use a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (3,400 MB/s read) for sure.

• MooreMoose

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @MooreMoose

Yes, get a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 2 TB for your XC-1660.

As far as I know, some XC-1660 and xc-1160G-UW93 have the 11th gen Intel CPU, thus must be using PCIe 4.0 motherboards.

If the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 too, people can even use a PCIe 4.0  x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (7,000 MB/s read). I am using gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD with one of my desktops using PCIe 4.0 motherboard.

I always try to get confirmation from XC-1660 or XC-1660G_UW93 users whether they can use gen 4 M.2 SSD. At least you can use a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (3,400 MB/s read) for sure.

I have a intel 11th gen CPU. But I'm new to the whole PCIe and M.2 slots. Thanks for your help tho I'll look for a m.2 nvme 
  • MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    I also have this slot which says "PCIe 16 X"
    But can't tell what gen that is.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,460 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That is a video card add on slot.
    Be careful as your power supply is only 180W
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/DT.BGWEK.00C

Go to crucial.com for more advice. Let them scan your computer. 

• MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    Any help, I did a bios update which failed and now I can't log into windows just says " your computer has run into a problem" any ideas on how to fix or undo the update 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @MooreMoose

From your photo, I can tell it is using B560 chipset, paired with 11th gen Intel CPU, so it must be a PCIe 4.0 motherboard. Too bad that Acer is particularly poor in documentations so cannot tell it is PCIe 4.0 x16 slot or not. Even if it is only PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, you still can use most of the modern graphics cards in the market now and PCIe 4.0 x16 should be backward caompatible with PCIe 3.0 x16 slot.

For the photo of M.2 NVMe SSD, I believe I saw only four pins on the narrower side of the notch. Can you confirm whether it is 4-pin or 5-pin there. If it is only 4-pin type, you can only use PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD.

Can you tell us in details why and how you did the BIOS update ( step by step if possible)?

Were you stuck in the BIOS update process or something else?

Fixing BIOS problems may be difficult.
  • MooreMoose

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for all the help. I've managed to fix the BIOS ISSUE I need to change a setting in it so it would recognise the harddrives. Once I change the setting the computer booted normally.
    I fitted a M.2 NVME ssd as the main drive and using the hhd as the slave(2nd drive). 
    I also upgraded the ram from 8gbto 16gb. 
    So all it's good now I won't need anymore help