CPU Fan noise and very loud. The sound level is around 30dB Aspire TC-1660

Options
2»

Answers

• ChrisIngram
    ChrisIngram Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, with respect I think some of the solutions are simply treating the symptoms. The real problem is that the FAN IS UNACCEPTABLY NOISY and Acer and it's suppliers need to acknowledge this. Perhaps a cost cutting exercise as the machine is well priced for the spec apart from the CPU fan/cooler.

I've never heard anything like it and suggest you DON'T try turning of smart fan in the BIOS unless you want a washing machine doing a spin cycle sitting on your desk!

See this:
    Acer Aspire TC-1660: Which CPU Fan/Heatsink will fit on the mainboard? — Acer Community

• yvanm
    yvanm Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi
    Just received a new Aspire TC-1660 Model D17E5 with i5 11400F CPU and find the CPU fan to be very loud. The sound level is around 30dB when not doing anything and going up to around 50 when stressing CPU with Cinebench R23. CPU RPM between 830 and 4591

Is this normal for this model?

Thanks

Edited the content to add model name to the topic

I had the same problem with an Aspire TC-1660-EB12 (same processor) I bought for our condo association's office. I think it's a shame that Intel supplies coolers with such a noisy fan, which was unacceptably loud for a small office. I could hear the noise ramping up and down everywhere in my home while running Windows Updates during the initial setup and I finally resolved to return the brand new unit and look for something else. My solution was to replace it with a TC-895-ES12 (an older model with an i5 10400) which is much quieter.

I have been generally very happy with the Acer line of Aspire desktops (bought a TC-875 for my brother two years ago and a TC-885 for myself last year). Mine remains whisper quiet, so the noisy TC-1660 was totally unexpected. I have read that some other models with the current i7 and i3 (in the XC-1660 line) have the same problem. Intel is making PC builders using their stock coolers look bad...maybe the noise does not matter to some people but I could not live with it. Had the PC been for my personal use I would have have changed the cooler but since it wasn't for me and the machine had been bought with an extended 3 year warranty, keeping it was not an option.

Just my two cents worth.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    In the gaming forums here a lot of the users have been replacing the fan itself with a quieter version, or if they stress their machines much replacing the heatsink and fan with more efficient versions. Intel seems to be pushing a 'cost effective' version instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sdroid
    Sdroid Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023
    Options

XC-1760

Since I have no desire to change the cooler, I replaced the fan with a Noctua NF-A9 PWM. Had to cut and file a little to fit it but it was worth it

• Sdroid
    Sdroid Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Here´s the pic