Upgrading the GPU on Acer Veriton Z4630G All-in-One

DLeslieJr
DLeslieJr Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in All-In-One PCs
I installed the new GPU, NVIDIA GEFORCE GT730 PCIE, and installed the latest drivers. The device shows up in device manager but I am unable to get it to "take over". I connected a HDMI cord to the new GPU output and to the input HDMI port on the back of the pc but that only made the computer think there were two monitors. How do I complete this install successfully? I do not wish to add a monitor to this computer. The compact size of the all in one is why I have it. I was unable to find this issue when searching the community.

Best Answer

• DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I returned the GPU. It appears that upgrading the DDR3 RAM, from 4GB to 16GB, worked well enough for what I need and there was not any support, for less $100, to get the new GPU operational. 

Answers

• DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

Here is a snapshot of the installed GPU, at the top of this picture.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    What was originally connected to the old GPU? There should have been some type of cable to go between it and the display... It's not clear from the pictures, but it looks like there is some sort of connection between the DVI and the display, or maybe motherboard?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

There is likely a cable running from the motherboard to the screen but I am unsure which connection that is. There is no cable connected to the new GPU, just where it is plugged into the PCIe slot. On another YouTube video, I saw them pull the card and reinstall, without any cables. They were working on something else, not the graphics card. I am guessing it was an original add-on. The device manager shows 2 display adapters; Intel HG Graphics & the NVIDIA card.
  • DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

video where they remove and reinstall a working GPU while working on the processor... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdCmUsneEY
    My new GPU is a different model but similar.
  • DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

The latest response from NVIDIA Tech support. Not really much help. If you know what to do to make this video card work, please respond to this question. 
    ———————————————
    Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Per the MSinfo file your 1920x1080 display is connected to the onboard Intel HD graphics. So it is only making use of the Intel HD graphics.

Adding graphics card to a desktop PC is a very simple process. But all-in-one PCs are completely different. We only provide the core chipset to the PC manufacturers. They custom design the graphics card according to their requirements and add it to the all-in-one pc. The set up can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I would request you to contact Acer to check if they can assist with the correct hardware set up required for the graphics card.

Best Regards,
    Varun
    NVIDIA Customer Care
  • DLeslieJr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I returned the GPU. It appears that upgrading the DDR3 RAM, from 4GB to 16GB, worked well enough for what I need and there was not any support, for less $100, to get the new GPU operational. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I wonder if there is something special about the GPU in there. It would need to have a connection to the HDMI on the back in order to connect it to any monitor, internal or external, unless it was specially designed to loop video back through the bus to the motherboard...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.