Questions about adding another SSD to PO3 600

Options
PJFAUST0
PJFAUST0 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited December 2021 in Predator Desktops
I am planning to buy a 1TB SATA SSD to add to my PO3 600 system. I was wondering if the SSD can just be placed underneath the graphics card as there is no more space on the hard drive bracket for another drive. Is there any problem with doing this e.g, regarding air flow. Also if I am to do this I will need to have another SATA power cable and data cable. Is it fine if I just get some online, as I've heard you should only use cables provided with the PSU, but I don't think there were any extra provided with my system and if there were I don't think I have them anymore. Otherwise should I just mirror my current 128GB SSD to the 1TB one and replace the 128GB SSD with the 1TB one?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options
    @PJFAUST0 your model has 1 M.2 slot and might be 2 places for securing a HDD and a 2.5 SSD you can get a M.2 SSD if that M.2 slot is empty.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • PJFAUST0
    PJFAUST0 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @PJFAUST0 your model has 1 M.2 slot and might be 2 places for securing a HDD and a 2.5 SSD you can get a M.2 SSD if that M.2 slot is empty.
    Both sata slots are taken up and the m.2 slots are taken up by a wifi card and intel optane memory
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    You will likely want to disable Optane then replace that card with a SSD, I'd get a 1TB or 2TB NVMe x4 card. Install the card in place of the Optane, then clone your 1TB HDD to it making sure the cloning software only adjusts the size of the C: partition. Once that is done, configure your BIOS to enable the boot menu and use that menu to choose the SSD as your boot device. With it booted off the SSD verify everything works right, then use Disk Management to wipe the partitions off the HDD and finally create a big data partition there. That will give you the best speed boost while staying away from something like duct tape to mount a 2.5" SSD. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,998 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Options
    PJFAUST0 said:
    I am planning to buy a 1TB SATA SSD to add to my PO3 600 system. I was wondering if the SSD can just be placed underneath the graphics card as there is no more space on the hard drive bracket for another drive. Is there any problem with doing this e.g, regarding air flow. Also if I am to do this I will need to have another SATA power cable and data cable. Is it fine if I just get some online, as I've heard you should only use cables provided with the PSU, but I don't think there were any extra provided with my system and if there were I don't think I have them anymore. Otherwise should I just mirror my current 128GB SSD to the 1TB one and replace the 128GB SSD with the 1TB one?

Get rid of that ODD/DVD as you can convert that space into a 2.5" drive space, you can always convert the ODD/DVD into an external drive and put the 2.5" SSD there, putting a 2.5” drive anywhere else is very messy especially mounting it in an unappropriated space that hasn’t got all the mounting screws. For the new SSD you can use any appropriate SATA power and data cable with straight plugs and 90˚ plug as they are all the same OEM or eBay, Amazon types.