My Acer VG270U PBMIIPX has an orange hue in every corner

Options
RadicalLarry
RadicalLarry Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2021 in Monitors
This monitor arrived on Christmas Eve, and I have noticed a possible issue in regard to the display.

Dark colors on the screen have a noticeable orange hue in all corners of the display but is most noticeable in the bottom right corner. It has parallax when I move around. When the display if full of colors and light it is no longer as noticeable. Even the gray bar at the bottom of this page is slightly orange tinted.

It is such a small issue, but I cannot unsee it. It is really annoying.

(This picture taken on my phone makes this issue look so much worse and apparent) 

If I have to refund this monitor, I will. Although I would really like to avoid that outcome if possible.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @RadicalLarry,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options
    Looks like pretty normal backlight bleed to me. Is it visible in any environment other than a dark screen?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RadicalLarry
    Options
    billsey said:
    Looks like pretty normal backlight bleed to me. Is it visible in any environment other than a dark screen?
    yes although it is not as noticeable, and after contacting acer support they concluded it is a hardware issue
  • billsey
    Options
    Good enough. Let us know what they do when they see it. It will be helpful if we can pin down how much bleed is too much...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RadicalLarry
    Options
    billsey said:
    Good enough. Let us know what they do when they see it. It will be helpful if we can pin down how much bleed is too much...
    I have received the monitor back and the report says no issues found during testing. I was confused by this diagnosis since when I powered on the monitor it still had the same glow in the corners...

I thought I wasn't going to be able to do anything about it, so I looked up ways to reduce the 'backlight bleed' and stumbled across something called IPS glow instead. I looked into what that was and what do you know, that is exactly what I am dealing with. It's not backlight bleed it's actually IPS glow and it's normal to an extent. This is very frustrating to have just learned about since I went through the whole repair process just to learn that this is a limitation of current IPS technology as of now.

TL;DR The 'backlight bleed' is actually IPS glow and is normal for IPS panels.

To anyone frustrated with this seemingly mysterious glow, don't refund or RMA your monitor. If it's IPS it's normal!
  • billsey
    Options
    IPS panels are the type that have a backlight, so you can probably find it under either name.