XC885 - USB 2.0 slots constant Disconnect & Reconnect + Make Recovery Drves + MCT installer issue

Simonics
Simonics Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Win10:  1) USB 3 slots fine. 2x USB 2.0 slots at rear constant disconnect + reconnect USB drive. 2) Also can not get Create Recovery Drive, or MCT Installer to create USB Drive. Process not finish. Error 0x80070005 - 0xA001B. Any ideas. Anyone have any experience of solutions to these above issues. Have updated most recent updates, except 21H2. Only ideas I have is USB, and Storage Drivers, and possibly Win Updates being paused. Also may be related to power off setting in device Manager, if USB not used. Thanks.

Best Answer

• Simonics
    Answer ✓

Update: Hi - I know this was a long time ago - I got pulled away by other things. - So customer support couldn't help. On researching, I found that older data sticks can cause issues. I did use an older lockable datastick that may have triggered this USB port datastick issue. However, the article I looked at gave no clear solutions. Windows 10 seems to have resolved the issue itself with further updates, so all good! In future, if it happens again, I might use scannow and dism, and attempt a system repair. Recently I have noticed that my Acer XC-885 tries to boot up off my external hard drive off a USB 2 port, but that is most likely not related to this issue, and is easily solved - eg don't plug in external drive when starting up! [I don't want to change boot order in BIOS]. Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I would try a WIndows Reset and keep your data/files.
    Just type RESET in the search box or do a ALT (tap F10) while booting and choose the reset but keep data files option. Good Luck.
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi @ Simonics
    Try reinstalling usb hub drivers. and bios default 
    Don't pause windows update it's not good practice 
  • Simonics
    Thanks - just tried re-installing USB Hub Drivers - didn't work. Concerned about doing a reset, as don't want to lose settings and apps, including OEM apps.
    I could make USB 21H2 Installer on another PC [as mentioned before, it won't do it on this one], and run setup.exe open on the desktop, from the USB Installer in a USB 3 slot. Running from desktop allows all apps to be kept.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,424 Trailblazer
    Try using the USB 2.0 slots only for keyboard and mouse...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Simonics
    edited December 2021
    Thanks, yes - have already done so! 
  • billsey
    I would try removing and reinstalling the contents of the USB Connection Managers and USB Controllers in Device Manager, not just the hubs. Either something is corrupt or you have hardware issues, and we hope it's not the latter...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Simonics
    edited December 2021
    Hi - thanks - yes have tried that a couple of times - according to properties, all USB devices working properly, No conflicts. Am now checking autoplay, and legacy USB support, and the USB troubleshooter.

• Simonics
    None of that worked - will try contact support in next couple of days
  • billsey
    Let us know what they say...
  • Simonics
    Answer ✓

Update: Hi - I know this was a long time ago - I got pulled away by other things. - So customer support couldn't help. On researching, I found that older data sticks can cause issues. I did use an older lockable datastick that may have triggered this USB port datastick issue. However, the article I looked at gave no clear solutions. Windows 10 seems to have resolved the issue itself with further updates, so all good! In future, if it happens again, I might use scannow and dism, and attempt a system repair. Recently I have noticed that my Acer XC-885 tries to boot up off my external hard drive off a USB 2 port, but that is most likely not related to this issue, and is easily solved - eg don't plug in external drive when starting up! [I don't want to change boot order in BIOS]. Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.

• billsey

Thanks for the update!