Internet not Available

HCSTech
HCSTech Member Posts: 2 New User
I provide IT TEchnical support at our small Catholic school. We have approximately 150 Acer Chromebooks in use. In one classroom with 14 Chromebooks connecting to a wireless Ubiquiti access point we keep losing access to the internet. They stay connected to the AP but when trying to open an online test or any other website they get an "Internet not Available" error message. When I investigated the problem and I look at the IP addresses the Chromebooks are getting they are all in the 192.168.1.xxx range. If I tell them to forget the current network, restart them, reconnect them and then give them a static IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range they will then connect to the internet. The problem is, when rebooted the Chromebooks will again lose internet connection even with the static IP address. I again disconnect them from the AP, restart and then reconnect them and they will have Internet access. This is an unhandy work-around especially for any teachers who needs the Chromebooks for testing or other online activities. Our DHCP address pool is from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254.  The AP IP address is 192.168.1.232. Plus, this is a recent problem and is only happening with this set of Chromebooks. If we bring in Chromebook from another classroom they connect to the same AP and to the internet. I have swapped APs with another classroom to no avail. Regular laptops connect to the same AP with no issue.  These Chromebooks all functioned properly until about 2 weeks ago and then suddenly this problem began. Our DHCP server has an IP address of 192.168.0.3, subnet mask is 255.255.254.0 and default gateway is 192.168.0.250. I have reinstalled the OS on every single one of these Chromebooks and verified they are up-to-date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Whats the full info for the ip address range that the chromebooks are getting? It sounds like the dhcp server isnt setting the subnet mask correctly if only the laptops in the /24 are working and those in the upper bit of the /23 are not getting the right stuff

compare across a working and a not
     - Subnet mask
     - Ip addr 
     - Default GW 
     - routes
     - DNS server

Problem is on the router most likley! What sort is it and are there any firewall rules or anything else strange configured about it? It could be that the router knows about the /24 and not the /23 so is just dropping stuff from the 168.1 range as martian sources
  • HCSTech
    HCSTech Member Posts: 2 New User
    We have the Christmas break coming up and I will have more time to make the comparisons you suggested when there are no teachers or students here. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for your response. 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    👍 if times match up drop me a ping and will try to be around to offer a hand / rubber duck to talk to, to work out what going on :D
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @HCSTech,

Did you check with the ISP tech support.