Acer AN-515-57 Thunderbolt support?

Options
rishu28
rishu28 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi,
I was checking out this laptop and I'm confused about the thunderbolt/USB C displayport support for this laptop as acer has mentioned both on one site and not on the other.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/model/NH.QENSI.002  (here it's clearly mentioned the TB/DP support) 
https://store.acer.com/en-in/acer-nitro-5-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-11th-gen--8gb-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-nvidiar-geforce-rtx-3050-windows-10-home-144hz-an515-57-with-39-6-cm-15-6-inches-ips-display-2-4-kgs-1  (here it's not mentioned)
I want to know which one is correct.

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It should work because the bios contains this option:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited December 2021
    Options
    According to the service manual it does:

Compared to the AN515-45 where the service guide doesnt have the TB section at all:

I think its due to their being some very similar models which share much of the same internals, in the user guide it states that AN515-45 / AN515-57 / AN517-41 / AN517-54 are just USBC , so my guess is acer were not going to include it, but it was probably cheaper or easier to include than thunderbolt 3 so was added at the last min as all the review units have it as well ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-57-56HH.570372.0.html )

The TB is connected to the Intel GPU i think on these as a heads up if you needed the DP out

Its a tad odd, I will ping the acer staff a message see if they can help clear it up / get the site corrected!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It should work because the bios contains this option:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    My BIOS is missing that feature, but it does have USB/TBT wake from device s4 something. Does that confirm no Thunderbolt?
    Acer site has TB drivers for my model AN515-57 its sad to see its missing in my unit, got Intel for the same reason.
    I thought Tiger Lake had TB controller integrated?
  • rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    According to the service manual it does:

Compared to the AN515-45 where the service guide doesnt have the TB section at all:

I think its due to their being some very similar models which share much of the same internals, in the user guide it states that AN515-45 / AN515-57 / AN517-41 / AN517-54 are just USBC , so my guess is acer were not going to include it, but it was probably cheaper or easier to include than thunderbolt 3 so was added at the last min as all the review units have it as well ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-57-56HH.570372.0.html )

The TB is connected to the Intel GPU i think on these as a heads up if you needed the DP out

Its a tad odd, I will ping the acer staff a message see if they can help clear it up / get the site corrected!
    Maybe you are right, but I can't seem to find even 1 clue of it in my system. I guess I'll just have to stick with the dGPU only. 
  • Leostat
    Options
    Nothing in device manager with no missing / yellow devices? 

I thought it was built into the soc as well, maybe it's a region thing? 
  • rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    Nothing in device manager with no missing / yellow devices? 

I thought it was built into the soc as well, maybe it's a region thing? 
    Literally nothing to find in device manager. But I do have these updates in "optional" . Should I be updating the BIOS from here?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you upload some pictures of all bios settings?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    Can you upload some pictures of all bios settings?
    Trust me there is nothing. I give up now. Very sad to see Acer not including TB in the latest RTX3050 model. I cared about it coz I had plans for external GPU (when price comes down).
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think this feature is available in all versions. Can you enter the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    I think this feature is available in all versions. Can you enter the bios version?
    I really hope it's some software issue.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! The latest version is 1.11. I still think it would be interesting if you upload some pictures of all the bios tabs.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Leostat
    Options
    I've raised it with the acer contact on the site so hopefully we will be able to get you a better answer soon! 
  • Leostat
    Options
    Hey sorry for the slow reply (Blarg covid!) , Acer have confirmed that this SKU is USB only im afraid :(
  • rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    Really disappointed, despite Acer site saying it has TB 4.0 it does'nt. After buying it I'm getting to know I got the wrong SKU? The same SKU is LISTED to have TB 4.0. This is crazy! Leostat said:
    Hey sorry for the slow reply (Blarg covid!) , Acer have confirmed that this SKU is USB only im afraid :(

• Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2022
    Options
    rishu28 said:
    Really disappointed, despite Acer site saying it has TB 4.0 it does'nt. After buying it I'm getting to know I got the wrong SKU? The same SKU is LISTED to have TB 4.0. This is crazy! Leostat said:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Leostat
    Options
    My guess is a region / SKU thing :( 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Leostat said:
    My guess is a region / SKU thing :( 
    Or some lock in the bios. The French user from the link I copied, also has an an515-57 with an rtx3050 video card. I don't think there should be configuration differences!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rishu28

Tinkerer

Options
    rishu28 said:

Like our French friend I also have the Intel CPU , BIOS 1.10 and the RTX3050 model. I really hope it's a BIOS lock and it gets solved, but if it's there, putting it there at the first place for Indian users is a really dissapointing thing. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a photo of that region?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a photo of that region?
    The French user uploaded a photo too: https://community.acer.com/fr/discussion/comment/1084714/#Comment_1084714

egydiocoelho Trailblazer