Uninstalling a hidden driver

Zaheer_Ali
Zaheer_Ali Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2021 in Windows 11

After upgrading to Windows 11 I have a problem with the volume and brightness keyboard shortcuts not working. I figured that it was a driver from Acer. I don't remember the exact name, nor did I take any note of the hardware ID. I removed it, and the problem seemed to go away.

After a few days, Windows Update has decided to reinstall the driver and once again, the keyboard shortcuts no longer work. Even more interesting this time, I can no longer see them on the Device Manager even with "show hidden devices" on.

The driver was listed as Acer Incorporated - HIDClass - 4/6/2017 12:00:00 AM - 8.0.0.3 on the update history. I looked up for "HIDClass" using DriverView, a third party tool and apparently it was a driver made by Microsoft, not Acer.

I tried sorting the drivers from their install/last modified date and I couldn't find anything that seems to be related and modified today, so how do I get rid of this "hidden" driver?

As a note I also used wushowhide.diagcab after this mess happened so this doesn't happen again in the future. However I need to remove it now, somehow.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Go to this link. Enter your machine's full model number (for example, A515-54G). Select Windows 11 drivers. And check for device driver and bios updates applicable to Win11.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Go to this link. Enter your machine's full model number (for example, A515-54G). Select Windows 11 drivers. And check for device driver and bios updates applicable to Win11.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited December 2021
    Congrats on your success. Thans for reporting back. :)

Jack E/NJ

• butthurt_86
    butthurt_86 Member Posts: 74 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @Zaheer_Ali driver for  launch manager wireless. totally made by acer not microsoft. if you install acer quick access. you can find that driver on program files/acer/drivers/Lmdriver. to uninstall open device manager/human interface devices/uninstall launch manager (delete/remove driver). you wont see it hidclaass 8.0.0.3 on windows update as long you install quick access
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Zaheer_Ali,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• YASMINDAVID
    YASMINDAVID Member Posts: 1 New User
    If Windows reinstalls the driver from the Driver Update Catalogue no matter what, then you need to contact Acer Support. I had that with an Intel Driver and Intel Support solved the issue.
  • adamvinh
    adamvinh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Please go here to fix the problem. thanks https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers