Can I add an M2. NVE SSD to my Model Name: TC-886|Part Number: DT.BDCEK.004

DerrickSWB
DerrickSWB Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
Hi Fellow ACER's ,

Can I add an Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 or will it have to be an Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3.500 MB/s) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8V1T0BW)

Thanks in advance
d

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD in your model, 980 Pro will work but will run at PCIe3.0 speeds, so I would suggest buying Samsung 980 PCIe3.0.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @DerrickSWB

For your info.

Samsung 980 Pro is a gen 4 M.2 SSD that can achieve 7,000 MB/s read, while your TC-886 using PCIe 3.0 motherboard and M.2 slot can only achieve 3,400 MB/s read. It is an overkill for using Samsung 980 Pro, and paying about doubling the price of a gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD of same capacity. 

I believe using WD SN750, Samsung 980, Samsung 970 EVO Pro, SK Hynix Gold P31 will be perfect match for the TC-886.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @DerrickSWB

Glad to help.

My TC-885 came with a x2 (1,700 MB/s) M.2 NVMe SSD, it was later upgraded to a x4 (3,400 MB/s) drive.
    To access the M.2 slot, remove the HDD tray, then remove the DVD drive tray. There may be some Youtube videos showing how to do it.

If you need further help, post another threaad for the new topic.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD in your model, 980 Pro will work but will run at PCIe3.0 speeds, so I would suggest buying Samsung 980 PCIe3.0.

• DerrickSWB
    Thanks. I’ll get my order sorted
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @DerrickSWB

For your info.

Samsung 980 Pro is a gen 4 M.2 SSD that can achieve 7,000 MB/s read, while your TC-886 using PCIe 3.0 motherboard and M.2 slot can only achieve 3,400 MB/s read. It is an overkill for using Samsung 980 Pro, and paying about doubling the price of a gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD of same capacity. 

I believe using WD SN750, Samsung 980, Samsung 970 EVO Pro, SK Hynix Gold P31 will be perfect match for the TC-886.
  • DerrickSWB
    brummyfan2 ttttt,

I appreciate the fast (superfast) support responses and the full detail provided by you both to allow me to make an informed choice... here's what I love about communities like this - one answer provided an opportunity to buy now and build in a little future proofing in should I change out my system, whilst the other allowed me to know the current system limitations - brilliant! so the economiser in me went with the best for current system at lowest cost based on the fact I already have a Samsung EVO 860 (apologies, I'm still newish to this so I forgot to share that piece of possibly critical info) and Magician software... I bought the Samsung 970 EVO Pro... waiting for the courier so I can open the case and move at least 10 things just to make a simple plug in, but fingers crossed it goes well - thanks again to you both  B) 
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @DerrickSWB

Glad to help.

My TC-885 came with a x2 (1,700 MB/s) M.2 NVMe SSD, it was later upgraded to a x4 (3,400 MB/s) drive.
    To access the M.2 slot, remove the HDD tray, then remove the DVD drive tray. There may be some Youtube videos showing how to do it.

If you need further help, post another threaad for the new topic.
  • DerrickSWB
    ….. drive supplied without and M2 screw and shockingly the board didn’t have a redundant one …. Waiting for the Amazon delivery of M2 SSD screws to complete installation….
  • brummyfan2 ttttt,

I appreciate the fast (superfast) support responses and the full detail provided by you both to allow me to make an informed choice... here's what I love about communities like this - one answer provided an opportunity to buy now and build in a little future proofing in should I change out my system, whilst the other allowed me to know the current system limitations - brilliant! so the economiser in me went with the best for current system at lowest cost based on the fact I already have a Samsung EVO 860 (apologies, I'm still newish to this so I forgot to share that piece of possibly critical info) and Magician software... I bought the Samsung 970 EVO Pro... waiting for the courier so I can open the case and move at least 10 things just to make a simple plug in, but fingers crossed it goes well - thanks again to you both  B) 
    You are welcome  :) yes, sometimes unavailability of the screws is really a pain, my solution always have been using a small electrical tape in such situation.

• DerrickSWB
    Screws arrived and system put back together BUT now I cannot install the Samsung NVE driver... any suggestions please?

• DerrickSWB
    edited December 2021
    ... btw windows disk management accesses it and it's formatted as drive D and I'm running Windows 11 Pro

• Screws arrived and system put back together BUT now I cannot install the Samsung NVE driver... any suggestions please?

Yes, it's a bug with the Samsung software, you need to use AHCI mode for the Samsung driver to work but it's not worth the trouble, Microsoft Controller driver works fine and you won't see any difference between them, I am also using Microsoft Controller driver for all Samsung SSDs.

• DerrickSWB
    ...Lol tried switching to AHCI before switching the drives over and got many BSOD.... powered off cables off the original Samsung 860 EVO and used the newly cloned 970 EVO plus to boot up successfully...... replaced the cable on the 860 started no problem and Magician software works......

just tested the system and I swear the old EVO SSD 860 outperforms the new 970 EVO Plus!! (see below)... have I wasted £120+ and been taken in by all the hype or just missed something in the setup?

• DerrickSWB
    Acer Aspire TC-886 with 32Gb DDR4

Device name DESKTOP-DVE7TUG
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Pro
    Version 21H2
    Installed on ‎08/‎10/‎2021
    OS build 22000.348
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The M.2 slot on a TC-886 is PCIe 3.0 x4, so any drives that meet that spec should run at pretty much the same speed. The 860 EVO is SATA though, which should be 1/4 the speed, since it's only 1x.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DerrickSWB
    ..... I'm overthinking it now as I don't really understand the results and have fiddled enough - thanks to all who've offered support 

• ttttt
    @DerrickSWB

Do you think your old SSD or the new M.2 NVMe SSD boots faster, disregard the Samsung Magician results?
  • DerrickSWB
    That’s a great question and to be honest I can’t really tell but I think the new M.2 SSD does (it definitely shutdown faster!)…. Programs like MS Outlook seem slower but that maybe because their now first time running on the cloned replacement drive using AHCI instead of RST with Optane? 
  • ttttt
    @DerrickSWB

I have seen people claimed their SATA3 SSD worked faster than the M.2 NVMe SSD, backed up with results as what you have shown in the Samsung Magician picture, but never with stop watch timed results. Up till now, I still doubt about how it can be true, if the SATA3 SSD(s) not being used in RAID (redundancy array) mode.

The best way to determine it is to use stop watch to time the bootup and shutdown processes and launching big programs and bowsers in the same condition to compare. You may not want to go through the hassles of putting the old SSD back for comparison purpose only.
  • DerrickSWB
    UserBenchmarks: Game 14%, Desk 89%, Work 14%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 - 96%
    GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 3.3%
    SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 380.5%
    SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 919.1%
    RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFRA266.C16FE 2x16GB - 88.9%
    MBD: Acer Aspire TC-886

970 EVO Plus Results

EVO 860 Results

The more I read the more i suspect i've made a poor decision