Can I add an M2. NVE SSD to my Model Name: TC-886|Part Number: DT.BDCEK.004

2»

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @DerrickSWB

Even Samusung, the manufacturer will not make a claim for such a speed.
  • DerrickSWB
    DerrickSWB Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Glad you got the Magician working but the readings don't look right, try using CrystalDiskMark to get another benchmark.
    https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3987-crystaldiskmark.html
    https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-1TB/m693540vsm423831
    UserBenchmarks: Game 14%, Desk 89%, Work 14%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 - 96%
    GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 3.3%
    SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 380.5%
    SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 919.1%
    RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFRA266.C16FE 2x16GB - 88.9%
    MBD: Acer Aspire TC-886

970 EVO Plus Results

EVO 860 Results

The more I read the more i suspect i've made a poor decision
  • DerrickSWB
    ttttt said:
    @DerrickSWB

What's odd is everything I use to benchmark throws up similar results.... I'm lost

• DerrickSWB
    ttttt said:
    @DerrickSWB

here  is the screenshot
  • Glad you got the Magician working but the readings don't look right, try using CrystalDiskMark to get another benchmark.
    https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3987-crystaldiskmark.html
    https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-1TB/m693540vsm423831
    UserBenchmarks: Game 14%, Desk 89%, Work 14%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 - 96%
    GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 3.3%
    SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 380.5%
    SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 919.1%
    RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFRA266.C16FE 2x16GB - 88.9%
    MBD: Acer Aspire TC-886

970 EVO Plus Results

EVO 860 Results

The more I read the more i suspect i've made a poor decision
    WOW, it's very strange that a SATA 3 drive giving thesse results in benchmarking programs 😱

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @DerrickSWB

This kind of thing remains a mystery to me. If my PC has something like this I probably will try the follwing to determine is a SATA3 SSD having PCIe 3.0 motherboard will be actually faster (that should not be, it is even faster than a high end gen 4 m.2 NVMe SSD).

1) I'll use a software that can compress/resize/add partition, so that I can make another partition for data only in the boot drive

2) Do this to both the old drive and the new boot drives

3) Copy a large chunk of data of more than 20GB from the boot partition (C: partition) to the data only partition. Use stop watch to time the process.

4) Chnage to another drive, do the same thing, copy the same chunk of data to the data only partition, jolt down the time taken.

5) Compare which drive gives the shorter copying time to determine which is a faster drive.

To solve this mystery, I'll probably do it if it is my PC, but it may be too tedious for you.

Oh, I'll suggest adding a good heat sink to the M.2 NVMe SSD, as copying large amount of data will cause thermal throttling. This is when copying sizable amount of data, the M.2 NVMe SSD will heat up fast. It may drop from the write speed of higher than 2,000 MB/s to something close to 100-200 MB/s in all of a sudden, to protect the drive from overheating. A good heat sink added to the M.2 SSD can prevent thermal throttling to occur.

• DerrickSWB

I’ll give the heat sink a go on the M.2 SSD as it does run hot (60 degrees at times) and despite the Samsung hype doesn’t cool quickly! I am where I am with its performance which seems correct but compared to the result for the SATA EVO860 (which produces twice the performance from all available benchmark tests) is disappointing…. I appreciate your suggestions and have picked up loads of knowledge too but think the additional effort for little extra isn’t worth it. So ordering a heat sink and last time opening the case to add it then it’s literally’case closed’ for me. Thanks team