Acer Spin 3 SP313-51N touch screen not working

stupidnamereqs
stupidnamereqs Member Posts: 8 New User
edited December 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I purchased an Acer spin 3 a few months ago for class. Lately the touch screen only works seldomly. In those instances, I needed to remove the pen, then replace the pen, then close the screen and unlock the laptop again. Until today that worked. Now I can't get the touch screen to work at all. My drivers are up to date, and I've tried with fast startup on and off.
Any help?

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Spin 3 model do you have? It should be something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx. Do you see anything in Device Manager when it's in failure mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stupidnamereqs
    billsey said:
    Which Spin 3 model do you have? It should be something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx. Do you see anything in Device Manager when it's in failure mode?
    It's a SP313-51N. 
    I'm not sure what to look for in device manager.
  • stupidnamereqs
    Anybody able to help me out here? Or should I just return this/take it for repairs?
  • billsey
    Look for anything in Device Manager that's flagged, even if it's not obviously connected to the touch screen. The touch screen digitizer sits behind an internal USB port, so an issue with that USB hub could easily cause these types of symptoms.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stupidnamereqs
    billsey said:
    Look for anything in Device Manager that's flagged, even if it's not obviously connected to the touch screen. The touch screen digitizer sits behind an internal USB port, so an issue with that USB hub could easily cause these types of symptoms.
    I just checked and there is nothing at all in the device manager that is flagged
  • stupidnamereqs
    I'm still having the same problem. Is there anyone who knows what could possibly be causing it that I haven't already checked?
  • billsey
    For the last year or so, as Microsoft does background updates to better support Windows 11, they have triggered an event in the USB drivers to corrupt data on some of the internal chipset ports. If it's corrupted bad enough the port is just no longer recognized and any devices connected to that port just disappear. If it's not quite as as bad, the port shows up, but the devices fail to initialize and generate errors. I haven't found a foolproof method to fix it, but usually it does fix itself after a while, often right after another update from MS. Sometimes you can find the port as a hidden device in Device Manager, which allows a uninstall/reinstall that can clean it up. You might check with the Intel driver site to see if they have updated chipset drivers beyond what MS pushed with Windows Update.
  • stupidnamereqs
    billsey said:
    For the last year or so, as Microsoft does background updates to better support Windows 11, they have triggered an event in the USB drivers to corrupt data on some of the internal chipset ports. If it's corrupted bad enough the port is just no longer recognized and any devices connected to that port just disappear. If it's not quite as as bad, the port shows up, but the devices fail to initialize and generate errors. I haven't found a foolproof method to fix it, but usually it does fix itself after a while, often right after another update from MS. Sometimes you can find the port as a hidden device in Device Manager, which allows a uninstall/reinstall that can clean it up. You might check with the Intel driver site to see if they have updated chipset drivers beyond what MS pushed with Windows Update.
    Is this an issue even if I haven't updated to Windows 11?  Or would switching to 11 perhaps fix it?  Or is this something that is specific to systems that are already on 11?
  • billsey
    It doesn't seem to be tied to any specific Windows version, rather it's likely tied to the update process itself. We've seen it both in Windows 10 and in Windows 11. Sometimes you can do a rollback and it's fixed, sometimes it's not...
  • stupidnamereqs
    So basically while MS continues to do updates, I'm screwed regardless? Sometimes my touchscreen will work and sometimes it won't? 
  • stupidnamereqs
    billsey said:
    It doesn't seem to be tied to any specific Windows version, rather it's likely tied to the update process itself. We've seen it both in Windows 10 and in Windows 11. Sometimes you can do a rollback and it's fixed, sometimes it's not...
    I do appreciate your replies and assistance btw.
  • billsey
    Yes, the whole thing has been very frustrating, since it doesn't seem to be able to be pinned down to any one update.