Built-in camera stopped working A515-54

Options
jfgrauer
jfgrauer Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited December 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My Acer A515-54 built-in webcam stopped working with a recent Windows 10 upgrade. System Devices/Webcam/Events displays "Device USB\VID_0408&PID_A061&MI_00\6&f66e2a4&0&0000 requires further installation." Acer has no driver for this webcam and uses the Microsoft default driver for webcams (Dated 2006). System devices report the driver and camera are working properly, but when I open the camera, there is only a blank screen. I recently updated to Windows 11 but the problem continues with the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Device manager. Click imaging devices folder. Right and uninstall USB Camera. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near the top of the next page. Scroll down and make sure fast startup is UNchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Then follow these steps.

(1) Unplug the charger.
    (2) Insert and hold paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute
    (3) Plug charger back in but wait till battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue
    (4) Then turn machine on and immediately press the F2 key to enter BIOS menu. Press the F9 key to load defaults. Press F10 to save defaults and exit
    (5) Window should then start automatically to re-detect the camera and automatically re-install fresh copies of the driver.

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Problem right off the bat though. I opened Device manager, but there is no folder named "imaging devices". Perhaps that's the problem? What do I do now?
  • JackE
    Options
    In Device Manager, click on the View dropdown menu. Click on 'show hidden devices' to see if anything more is revealed.

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    Following your instructions, I was able to display "imaging devices". It was hidden. However, when I opened it, my camera is not showing. 
  • JackE
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Is anything showing?

PS: Also, did you follow thru on these steps anyway?
    (1) Unplug the charger.
    (2) Insert and hold paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute
    (3) Plug charger back in but wait till battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue
    (4) Then turn machine on and immediately press the F2 key to enter BIOS menu. Press the F9 key to load defaults. Press F10 to save defaults and exit
    (5) Window should then start automatically to re-detect the camera and automatically re-install fresh copies of the driver.

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    OK. The only item showing in the "imaging devices" folder is my printer. I followed your latest instructions. Same results.
  • JackE
    Options
    Press Win key. Enter 'camera'. Click camera app at top of windows. Is it turned on or off?

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    It says "Camera on"
  • JackE
    Options
    Leave that windows open. Then open Device Manager imaging devices folder. Does the camera now show up when clicking the hidden devices view?

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    No it doesn't. Again, just my printer is displayed.
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to Privacy Settings.  Click camera privacy setting. Are all the privacy settings on?

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    Yes. They are all marked as on.
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see any restore points with a date stamp before yesterday Dec 6th?

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    There are no restore points listed.
  • jfgrauer
    Options
    By the way, the title for the backup and restore says Windows 7. Is that a Windows 11 bug?
  • JackE
    edited December 2021
    Options
    No. It's been that way since Win8 debuted. Maybe because Win7 was the last halfway decent Windows version. :)

Well, I think the camera hardware is OK because at  least settings thinks it's still there. But trying to avoid a factory system reset.

Go to this link. Download and unzip the rar archive. Run setup.exe in the ViewPlayCap subdirectory. Then run ViewPlayCap to see if it'll detect and activate the videocam.

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    OK. I'm getting all kinds of security warnings when I try to download the file in the link. When I try to override the warnings and "keep the file", I get a file called "unconfirmed 699355.crdownload." I know I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is.
  • JackE
    Options
    Hold on!!! Do you have any non-Microsoft virus scanners running in the background? Open Control Panel programs to see if any are installed. If they are UNinstall them. They cause nothing but trouble. Most folks only need Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool which are updated regularly.

Jack E/NJ

• jfgrauer
    Options
    Yes. I have Norton Security Ultra. I hate to uninstall it because it cost big bucks AND has recognized some malicious software and websites quite a few times. So I disabled it, tried the download again, and was successful. After completing the setup process, ViewPlayCap did recognize my camera. There are a bunch of options, but I don't see any option to activate it. I tried opening my camera, but got the same old results.
  • jfgrauer
    Options
    Got it installed. Recognizes the camera, but no option to activate.