2 screen HDMI adapter/port -Aspire 5 A515-56-58MN

JulieH
JulieH Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have 1 x HDMI port.  I need 2 screens so I have a dual adapter.  When both cables are plugged in neither screen works, but if i take out either cable (still using the adapter) then that screen will work.  I dont understand why both screens wont work. What can I do as I need 2 monitor screens for work. The laptop is an Aspire 5 Model N20C5  A515-56-58MN less than a week old.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answers

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The reason is that the HDMI port only supports HDMI video signal output. It does NOT support VGA video signal output. Both monitors need to accept HDMI video signal input. The gray HDMI-to-VGA adapter that you are using is also disrupting the HDMI output signal from the laptop. Please remove the VGA adapter before the HDMI port is damaged.

Jack E/NJ

• JulieH

Tinkerer

Thank you JackE.  I have now purchased another monitor with an HDMi cable and have attached to the dual adapter and the same problem arises.  Neither screen works but both do separately. What now?
  • JackE
    Do both monitors have their own power supplies? What are the brands/models. One or both are drawing significant signal power from the HDMI port. You may need a powered HDMI splitter insted of the passive one you seem to have  there.

Jack E/NJ

• JulieH

Tinkerer

Both have their own power supply.

1 x Acer (new this year) and 1 x Huawei (brand new)

• JackE
    I can only suggest that you get a powered instead of a passive splitter to amplify the HDMI video signal which apparently isn't strong enough for more than one. For a few dollars more, you can get 4 outputs and really go to town. Hook up a couple of TVs. :)

Jack E/NJ

• JulieH

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Hi JackE,

Just wanted to say thank you for resolving this issue for me .  The unit you suggested works a treat.

I appreciate how quickly my problem was sorted, I work virtually so this was a real problem for me.

My issue now is that the 2 screens dont display as I need them to.

The laptop screen is the main display so that the 2 screens are duplicates of each other (I have the setting as extend these displays), how do I untick the "make this my main display" box for the laptop so that I can use the 2 screens as separate displays? 

I use windows 11.

I cant see a thread for this issue.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    You cant on that im afaid :( if you are still in the returns window i would as that is just a duplicator like you had in your first post. You would need something like a display link adapter which adds a second "gpu" to the system. The way they work is they take data over the USB port and output a display signal ( https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/displaylink-products-list?field_displaylink_category_value=usb_adapters ) something like this ( https://amzn.to/3dy3yG6
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

Leostat - im not sure i understand. Are you saying that because i only have 1 x HDMI port on my laptop it means that i can only have 1 extra monitor?
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

Just so Im sure im buying the right thing.

I have 2 x monitors both with HDMI leads. To get them to work as screen 1 &2 I need an adaptor to take 1 x HDMI to USB so that 1 x monitor is in the HDMI port on my laptop and the other screen is going to go into the USB port on my laptop.

My laptop is currently showing the laptop screen as my main display and is greyed out so cant change it.

This will then  allow me to have the set up as I require?
  • Leostat
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Correct, hdmi isn't able to split the signal from the one port into two displays . There are some stupidly expensive adapters which do that by emulating a display which is 3840x1080 and then splitting the signal, but as display link exists or defeats the need for em 

If you plug in only one hdmi, you should be able to extend the display rather than mirror right? (Displays one and two)

The usb -> hdmi would then enable you to have The Huawei screen (so three in total) . It has to be a display link adapter, something like a display port via usb c adapter will not work ( I will confirm that in a bit :) )
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

Leostat - so in all honesty if I had known that, I could have kept my original (VGA lead) monitor and just got an adapter to USB?.....sigh.  So if anyone reading this has same issue they wont have to buy  a new (HDMI) monitor, and 3 adapters that weren't required.

Thank you for making this simple and explaining things in more detail. I really appreciate your help.

So, when I install the HDMI to USB adapter will the screen issue automatically work or do I have to change any settings? Some posts I saw say I may need to change the display link card settings?
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

JackE thank you.  I have now got a HDMI to USB converter but the 2nd screen isnt working.  Can you confirm which USB port I should use on the laptop model I have please. Or do I have to change the display settings anywhere?
  • Leostat
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    You can use any usb port, as it's just a dongle 

You do need to do two things, first install a driver which will depend on which you have bought, and second 'project' onto it which is windows+p then select extend 

May be worth trying that first incase windows has installed the driver by itself. And which did you go for?

You shouldn't need to change any settings, they are pretty plug and play after the driver :)
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

I just purchased 1 off amazon for quick delivery.  What driver and where do i get it from?

USB to HDMI Adapter, USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter 1080P Full HD Video Audio Multi Monitor Converter Adaptor for PC Laptop Projector HDTV Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7 (Not Support Mac, Linux, Chrome)

• JulieH

Tinkerer

I just purchased 1 off amazon for quick delivery.  What driver and where do i get it from?

USB to HDMI Adapter, USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter 1080P Full HD Video Audio Multi Monitor Converter Adaptor for PC Laptop Projector HDTV Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7 (Not Support Mac, Linux, Chrome)

• ➤Easy to Use - The USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter does not require any external power supply to be connected, it is easy to use, just plug it into your computer, you will see there a new USB device folder in your computer, then open it and double click to install the driver. Simple installation and easy to operate.
    I cant see a USB device folder.....I can see a CD drive(D) folder that has a windows 7-windows 10 applications file.  I use windows 11 is that gona make a difference?
  • JulieH

Tinkerer

=) Happy happy bunny.  I now have both my monitors working independently. 

Thank you so much for the help.  I have learnt alot.
  • Leostat
    Just to confirm incase someone finds the thread in the future 

Drivers in windows 8.1 / 10 usually are cross compatible 

Drivers for 10 / 11 almost definitely will work, as under the hood they are currently almost the same, this may change as windows 11 matures, but I would bet you will be fine for ages 

Glad to hear you got it working :)!
  • JackE
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ