Display Assembly Coming Apart at Hinge (Just over 1 year old!!!) - Swift 3 SF314-42-R9YN

SadClownFace
SadClownFace Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I purchased an Acer Swift 3 around 9/20/2020, just over a year ago, for my daughter to use for school. I already had to send it back within a couple months after the power jack stopped working (well, it stopped again, and we've since been able to use the USB-C port to charge).
Within the last few weeks the display assembly appears to be coming apart at the hinge, and it's getting worse. It's like the hinge itself is just too tight or something, and parts of the hinge are pulling the black bezel around the bottom off when the lid is opened. We have to squeeze and snap everything back together once the display is opened. I've seen other people complain about this. I find it slightly annoying that it's just out of warranty period as well. See the attached pictures.

I have problem repairing things myself, whether it's cell phones or computers. Easy peasy. HOWEVER.

THIS IS GARBAGE!

Does anyone know where I can find replacement parts for this thing? I'm likely to NEVER buy another Acer computer in the future, as this is just the worst quality materials and engineering. At first it seemed nice, but a computer that's just over a year old shouldn't be falling apart like this. Never again.

Thanks anyone for help!

Model #: SF314-42-R9YN

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• SadClownFace
    Typo... meant to say I have NO problem repairing things myself. :P
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Heheh, I figured that was what you meant to say... :)
    Actually the best process to go through for the repair is not to buy new case halves, they are really expensive. Instead it's to rebuild the screw mounts where they have pulled loose from the case using an epoxy like JB Weld. Depending on how badly broken they are you might find yourself doing a fair amount of repair work or just helping to hold the existing mounts together. It's an issue with a lot of the newer thin and light laptops, not just with Acer. If the cases are really thin there just isn't enough heft there for the screws to hold with any side torque. You pretty much have to open them by lifting the center of the screen instead of in the corner like most people do. What I did on the one I fixed was to build up with epoxy the area of the screw mounts, then put some plumbers tape (Teflon) on the top surface with the hinge holding it in place. That gives you a nice flat surface without the epoxy sticking to the hinge. Then, when it's fully set I drilled a hole appropriately sized for each screw and waited for a full cure before reassembling. It hasn't pulled loose again and it's been something like three years... But then I may be a little more delicate when opening and closing than I used to be.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SadClownFace
    edited December 2021
    Well... I did the surgery last night (prior to seeing your comment @billsey. :))

I pried the plastic bezel off and was able to immediately see what's going on. The screw mount, as you mentioned, had just snapped off of the back. It's like it was only held on by the three black molded posts that appear to have originally been set with the female end of the screws. I pulled out the $5 epoxy and, after cleaning the surfaces with some 99% iso rubbing alcohol, glued the screw mount to the back. Patience was my friend.

But... and this is the important part, for preventive measure... I also removed the back of the computer and removed the hinges. Easy to do. Each hinge has a small adjustment nut on them. I loosened both sides up by about a quarter turn (half turn or so on the offending side). It made a huge difference! Leverage is an amazing thing, and I think Acer should consider the calibration on these things.

After letting the epoxy set and re-assembling things (I did use the screws to ensure the epoxy wouldn't fill the screw holes by occasionally screwing a screw in and removing it, clearing out any epoxy that seeped into the three screw holes), it works fantastically! If the display is pushed back to about 30 degrees off the surface, it does want to "fall" on it's own, but the kid never uses it that far back. If it becomes an issue, I can get in there and make a slight adjustment on the hinge adjustment nuts, now that I know where they are. She was able to get back to playing Overwatch within a few hours. :D

So.. for now, the problem is solved. I think I have some newfound respect for the MacBook Pro I have and it's engineering quality, and even the MSI I have with a metal chassis.

ACER: Fix this. :P I shouldn't have had to do this type of surgery on a 1-year old machine!

Cheers!
  • care_head
    care_head Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2022
    I got the same issue on the exact same laptop. Never buying Acer again. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    The issue is pretty much inherent with all the "thin and light" laptop designs that aren't using metal for the chassis halves. It's not Acer specific and you'll find with some searches that all manufacturers have the same complaints. As long as the consumers want thinner and lighter laptops they will have to be built with less depth for the hinge mounting screws. Users can mitigate the issue a great deal by being careful how they open the laptops. Open form the center instead of the corners make a huge difference in the stresses on the hinges.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.