High Temperature and Nitro AN515-54

MaddyTsuki
MaddyTsuki Member Posts: 7 New User
So I got my Acer 5 about 2 years ago. I don't remember until maybe this year of it being so loud and hot constantly. Getting upwards to 92 degrees Celsius with a loading of 14%, which doesn't seem right to me. The only thing on my mind is that my browser is using some memory but I wouldn't imagine enough to cause this.

I've heard these temps are normal for gaming, I've seen similar when playing FFXIV, but this is just when I'm browsing the web or on start up. Apparently a lot of my memory is being used but I don't know what would seem wrong or right for this sort of thing. NitroSense doesn't let me change the power plan in the settings either, I've changed between Balance and High-Performance through windows with no difference. 

I checked with multiple anti-virus programs and don't detect anything suspicious, so I'm really at a loss here. I've also heard that the Nitro 5 just isn't good with handling heat, which probably means this is something I am just meant to deal with. If that's the case, is there still anyway to manage it better? The noise of the fans to meet with the heat is pretty obnoxious, and CoolBoost is only making it worse. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Hi,
    I would suggest you try undervolting with Throttlestop, I have posted a guide but you have to find the correct settings by changing the figures, the steps are same but when you reduce the voltage start from low number and test the stability of the system.
    ThrottleStop 9.4 Download | TechSpot
    ThrottleStop Remix - i7-7700 & i5 6300- Undervolt Guide - Overheating Fix / Optimization - YouTube
  • MaddyTsuki
    Hi,
    I would suggest you try undervolting with Throttlestop, I have posted a guide but you have to find the correct settings by changing the figures, the steps are same but when you reduce the voltage start from low number and test the stability of the system.
    ThrottleStop Remix - i7-7700 & i5 6300- Undervolt Guide - Overheating Fix / Optimization - YouTube
    Are you saying I should follow the video settings until the voltage or?
  • Hi,
    No, I have attached the video as an example, you have to find the suitable settings for your laptop because the settings in the video are for i7-7700 & i5-6300 and the values may be different for your CPU, I would like you to get used to the procedure involved and follow the method to find out the proper settings for your CPU, concentrate only on basic settings like reducing the voltage and as you get more familiar with the program you can think of adjusting other settings.
    I have attached my settings as an example, compare that with the video and make adjustments for your settings.

• MaddyTsuki
    Hi,
    No, I have attached the video as an example, you have to find the suitable settings for your laptop because the settings in the video are for i7-7700 & i5-6300 and the values may be different for your CPU, I would like you to get used to the procedure involved and follow the method to find out the proper settings for your CPU, concentrate only on basic settings like reducing the voltage and as you get more familiar with the program you can think of adjusting other settings.
    I have attached my settings as an example, compare that with the video and make adjustments for your settings.

So just mess with the offset voltage and, from all of your screenshots, apply it to both the CPU Core and Cache?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    So I got my Acer 5 about 2 years ago. I don't remember until maybe this year of it being so loud and hot constantly. Getting upwards to 92 degrees Celsius with a loading of 14%, which doesn't seem right to me. The only thing on my mind is that my browser is using some memory but I wouldn't imagine enough to cause this.

I've heard these temps are normal for gaming, I've seen similar when playing FFXIV, but this is just when I'm browsing the web or on start up. Apparently a lot of my memory is being used but I don't know what would seem wrong or right for this sort of thing. NitroSense doesn't let me change the power plan in the settings either, I've changed between Balance and High-Performance through windows with no difference. 

I checked with multiple anti-virus programs and don't detect anything suspicious, so I'm really at a loss here. I've also heard that the Nitro 5 just isn't good with handling heat, which probably means this is something I am just meant to deal with. If that's the case, is there still anyway to manage it better? The noise of the fans to meet with the heat is pretty obnoxious, and CoolBoost is only making it worse. 

MaddyTsuki try to repaste both CPU and GPU as after 2 years its time! Use a high quality paste like the ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut Extreme (which is a great paste, I use it all the time and it works 100% and it’s the best around) and also change the OEM thermal pads to the Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut or the Minus pads at the Thermal CPU/GPU Module for better heat dispersion, also clean the fans and vents of your laptop from dirt and felt as that contributes to high temps. Also and remember that your AN515-54 is set to handle high temps like CPU at max PROCHOT at 98°C and OS shut down at 100°C and the VGA at CPU PROCHOT of 95°C and OS shut down at 96 °C. On top of all this also use a high end laptop tablet cooler that will also assist in reducing temps by at least 3°C to5°C.

• MaddyTsuki
    StevenGen said:

MaddyTsuki try to repaste both CPU and GPU as after 2 years its time! Use a high quality paste like the ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut Extreme (which is a great paste, I use it all the time and it works 100% and it’s the best around) and also change the OEM thermal pads to the Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut or the Minus pads at the Thermal CPU/GPU Module for better heat dispersion, also clean the fans and vents of your laptop from dirt and felt as that contributes to high temps. Also and remember that your AN515-54 is set to handle high temps like CPU at max PROCHOT at 98°C and OS shut down at 100°C and the VGA at CPU PROCHOT of 95°C and OS shut down at 96 °C. On top of all this also use a high end laptop tablet cooler that will also assist in reducing temps by at least 3°C to5°C.

I'll actually look into repasting, however I would rather see if there is some service that can do it, as I don't trust myself. I've tried contacting a nearby contact support, but is there any chance I should try asking Acer or something?