Shut off network card lights Aspire TC-895

GWell
GWell Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have two Acer Aspire desktops I recently bought. We have them in rooms where we sleep. Even when the computers are off, the network cards blink with random, bright blue lights. These are in the back of the computers, but it still strobes the room. Is there a software switch to shut these off? I cannot imagine we are the only people who want this to stop.

Answers

• GWell said:
    I have two Acer Aspire desktops I recently bought. We have them in rooms where we sleep. Even when the computers are off, the network cards blink with random, bright blue lights. These are in the back of the computers, but it still strobes the room. Is there a software switch to shut these off? I cannot imagine we are the only people who want this to stop.
    Hi, Go to Device Manager, Network Adapters, Realtek PCIe, Power Management, disable Allow this device to wake up the computer.
    Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    That will not work, the link and speed lights stay on whenever there is an active wire connected, even when Wake on LAN is turned off. Just use some black electricians tape to cover them and they should stop being a bother.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @GWell

Two things you can do:

1) When you go to bed, shut down the router and modem too, so there is no active network.

2) Affix a black color ( or even two layers ) electrical tape to the RJ45 port where the light is to block the light.

I have a media center dock with one of my desktops, and there is an exceeding bright red indicator light. Used two layers of white electrical tapes to cover the light so the brightness is comfortable.
  • billsey said:
    That will not work, the link and speed lights stay on whenever there is an active wire connected, even when Wake on LAN is turned off. Just use some black electricians tape to cover them and they should stop being a bother.

or simply unplug the cable when going to sleep
    Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• GWell
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Electrical tape was my embarrassing, 1980s parent failure to understand a flashing VCR clock, fallback plan. I was hoping that there was some simple software setting fix. I cannot be the only person irritated by all the LED lights on electronics. Suggestion to ACER engineering, make the network card's lights flash only for testing and shut off for 99.9999% if the rest of the time.
  • ttttt
    @GWell

I believe overwhelming majority of the people do not have your issue of irrated by a small LED light. Finding something to block the light is such an easy thing to do.

It is a standard pratice to have lights at the RJ45 port so people can tell the network is alive. Maybe you can find something in the market without the LED light at the RJ45 port  ( if you try hard). How about you find something to break the LED light without breaking other wires? LOL!
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Do you have any model number information and manufactures information as perhaps software exist ?

• GWell
    Aspire TC-895 and an Aspire XC-995
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I have a TC-895-U92 but there is no lights nor network card. 
    But I'll research both on time.
    Sometimes the reviews on Amazon are helpful.
  • ttttt
    @GWell

There is a tradeoff between using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Apparently using Wi-Fi alone without the Ehernet card will solve your issue, but Ethernet is always better than Wi-Fi.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The flashing lights on the Ethernet port are actually built into the port these days. So if they purchase a standard port to mount to the motherboard, the LEDs are included and need to extra wiring or cost. I think that is the only reason they are still there. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.