What type USB pci port to expand on atc-705-uc52

Lma21
Lma21 Member Posts: 3 New User
So i want to replace USB pci card, but want to make sure I buy a compatible one.
What, is why, specs should I check for?

Thx in advance!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Your Aspire TC-705 has a single PCIe x1 slot that is appropriate for a USB card. The bandwidth available through PCIe x1 is about half the maximum through a USB 3.0 port, so there will be some bandwidth lost, but it likely won't be significant. If you aren't worried about bandwidth, just put a USB hub on an existing port and don't bother with a card.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lma21
    So installing a pci card, even if it says it's a 3.0, wont  actually be 3.0 speed?
    Right now all i have are the 3 in the back is came with 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Lma21
    From the picture, seems like you have not added any PCIe card to your desktop. No graaphics card or additionally PCIe card. So, I am somewhat confused by the term "Replace a USB PCI card", unless you have it installed at level below the bottom of the picture.

Let me share my experience:

Had an old dekstop and applied a PCIe x1 with supposingly 7 USB 3.0 ports adpater card to the PCIe x1 slot. The result was nothing close to USB 3.0 speed, kind of close to USB 2.0 speed for all devices using those ports.

I think if you can find a x4 PCIe usb 3.0 ports card and apply it to the x16 slot (if the slot is still open), you will have a better chance to get USB 3.0 speed for all ports.
  • Lma21
    You're right. I should've said add and not replace
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    So, you should have two USB 3.0 ports on the front of your Aspire TC-705 and four USB 2.0 ports on the back. Your best option for expansion is to use one of the front ports to drive a USB 3.0 hub, especially an externally powered USB hub. That would give you several more USB 3.0 ports and you can run any single device at full speed or run multiple devices simultaneously at slower speeds. As suggested, if you were to tie up your graphics card slow (PCIe x16) with a PCIe x4 USB 3.0 expander you could have multiple full speed ports added to the back of the machine, but wouldn't be able to add a GPU later.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.