BLUE QUESTION MARK ON D DRIVE Aspire 5

lizzie28
lizzie28 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi all,

I acquired a preowned 2019 Acer Aspire 5 laptop from Ebay.  I've set it up all no problem but noticed when I plug an external Asus Slim DVD-RW into the USB ports, I get a message saying Drive D is invalid.   Its not an issue with the Asus DVD as it works fine on my older laptop, daughters laptop and I bought another ASUS DVD to try out.

I noticed there is a blue question mark against D Drive when I see it in File Explorer.   The USB ports seem to work ok with the mouse bluetooth chip, USB flash drives etc.

The USB drivers are up to date.   My  Acer laptop has a SSD 256GB.   I'm not too technical with computers so does the blue question mark mean anything bad please ?  I really need to know please because if the laptop is faulty, I only have a week or so, to send the laptop back.

I have upgraded the ACER to Windows 11 and didn't really notice if the Blue ? was there before the upgrade but the issue with the Asus DVD and Drive D message was there for sure.

Would really grateful for any advice please.

Thanks very much

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>I have upgraded the ACER to Windows 11 and didn't really notice if the Blue ? was there before the upgrade but the issue with the Asus DVD and Drive D message was there for sure.>>>

What exactly was the AsusDVD and Drive D message BEFORE the Win11 upgrade if it wasn't a Blue question mark? If you don't recall, all I can say is that the blue question mark in FileExplorer usually means a compressed DVD disk which must be de-compressed or un-zipped before accessing the files on it. So the USB port seems to be working like it should.

Also, if you're full ACER model number (for example A515-54G) is listed on this Win11 compatibility page, then go to this link to update the drivers for Win11 after entering your full model number.

Jack E/NJ

• lizzie28
    lizzie28 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for your response. The message said that the Drive D was invalid after the ASUS DVD (I was trying to play a CD) was spent 30 secs or so trying to get going and failing miserably 😔 

I also got a message at some point after fiddling with the laptop, saying the Drive couldn't be located, etc. 

It really is after Google-ing the exact messages and looking at File Explorer, that I noticed the Blue question mark.