TC-1660-EB11 motherboard diagram and memory spec

jcw604
jcw604 Member Posts: 2 New User
I want to add 8GB into my ACER purchased from Bestbuy.ca webcode 15459245.  Based on the reviews, someone added 8GB into the computer and I presume that there is an extra slot to do that. I want to know if someone can recommend a particular DRAM, maybe a few of them. I have 2 of these boxes new, and can consolidate them into 1 desktop with 16GB of DRAM, and one with 0 DRAM for adding some higher performance DRAM. Any ideas on how to do it?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Your Aspire TC-1660 is specced with DDR4 2933 MHz memory and doesn't support XMP overclocking. Check first to be sure you have 2933 because we've been hearing of some systems where Acer is using 3200 MHz instead. You want to match the stick that's already there... "Higher Performance" won't actually be any better since the speed the memory runs at is determined by the motherboard chipset, not by the memory itself. The motherboard supports up to 32GB per stick, and there are two slots, so 64GB maximum. As long as the memory you select isn't XMP you should be good to go with whatever you decide. XMP will either not work at all or it will drop the memory speed significantly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jcw604
    jcw604 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here is some more information in Bestbuy.ca:
    The 11th gen Intel Core i5-11400 processor backed by 8GB DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM RAM offers a steady and seamless computing experience.
    UDIMM RAM.

In Amazon.ca is:
    Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Desktop Memory CT8G4DFRA266
    Amazon's Choice for "ddr4 2666mhz udimm ram"

Do you think this one would work? How many pins are supposed to be in the compatible memory? 

Thanks so much in advance for the assistance and the in depth knowledge regarding hardware. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Try running CPU-Z to see what it says about your memory. 2666 seems slow based on the 2933 spec., but it might be correct if that was all they could get at the time. Don't buy until you know what you have now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.