Win 11 upgrade - AXC-705

Options
pensionerpete
pensionerpete Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2021 in Windows 11
I have a 2015 AXC-705_W AND IT WORKS WELL FOR ME. With win11 it has no TPM nor is there a socket for a discrete TPM, Is it possible for the engineers at Acer to develop a solution that enables TPM and thus Win 11?
Current processor is i5-4660

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @pensionerpete

Some motherboards such as ASUS boards may have a socket for TPM module.

However, you use i5-4660 CPU, which is not new enough to meet the Win 11 requirement.

Think about changing PC or just stick with Win 10 for a few more years.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    Even if you had TPM on it, Microsoft wouldn't support it for Windows 11 because the chipset is too old. They require 8th gen or newer and you are at 4th gen. As suggested, just stick with Windows 10 until you are ready for new hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pensionerpete
    Options
    I know what you say is true and I was aware of it. The Acer board is dated 4/2015 and I would not consider that too old for my home PC. The longer I can use a PC the more I (we) can claim to be eco friendly.
    Thanks anyway for showing interest.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Heck I have a pair of 2017s that are too old. Most CPUs from the last decade have TPMs built in, they just need to be turned on (in the BIOS). However they still are not on The List. Apple has been doing this for years but generally a decade back is OK.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    I have two 2006 era laptops I'm running Windows 10 on to monitor and control a 3D printer and a CNC router. They won't be able to be upgraded to Windows 11 and it doesn't really matter. I've gotten 15 years use out of them so far and I can always upgrade to newer hardware when the Windows 10 support goes away. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @pensionerpete

You can use Win 10 at least until 2025 with Microsoft support, and probably a few more years when programs and bowsers stop supporting it.
    If you insist on being eco-friendly, maybe you can switch to Linux by that time, as some Linux versions are more old PC friendly.
  • padgett
    Options
    I like Kali Linux but mainly to monitor the rest of the computers. BTW if M$ is dumping 2017 computers now, by 2025 today's Win 11 computers will be obsoleted. Of course my toys go back to 1981 (5150) and Windows 3.11 obsoleted most of them. And on the gripping hand Chromium OS is looking for volunteers...
  • pensionerpete
    Options
    I have an old Amstrad and I am amazed at what it did. Seems incrediable that we have a constant flow of new systems releases, are they really necessary, or is just to keep the money flowing in?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @pensionerpete

Technologies advance everyday. If you do not make advancement, then the competitors will over take. It is that simple.

Money keep flowing in to fund the research and developments, and then another wave of new products come out and welcomed by most people.

As a non-gamer, I begin to feel my new PCs begin to show the signs of overkill. I am slow to initiate the commands, and the PC just get it done almost immediately and waiting for my next command.
  • padgett
    Options
    Have seen 8 bit become 16 bit then 32bit and now 64 bit. Biggest performance gain I have seen is replacing 5400 rpm HDD with SATA 3 SSDs. Booting is much faster. 480gb 500b/s SSD is $44. Such a deal

Hard thing today is finding a RJ45 socket, RJ11 went away some time ago. Have a USB modem now.

Just got a deal on a 17" Acer laptop that is on The List. Has RJ45 and a DVD. My first was a 32 lb dual floppy transportable & had a 9" scream - is sitting on my file cabinet.

And so it goes.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @padgett

AMD came out with 128 bit CPU last decade or so. It was just too advanced by that time, so it did not get a warm welcome.

Don't know why you said it is hard to find RJ45 socket. Just got an entry level new model laptop (A515-46-R14K) half year ago and it got the RJ45.
    The laptop is so slim that the RJ45 port has to be plugged in by lowering a latch first, otherwise the RJ45 plug cannot be inserted. 

What is that deal for 17" Acer laptop? My relative needs to get one.
  • padgett
    Options
    This looks like a better deal than one I bought: this one has an SSD already.

• ttttt
    Options
    @padgett

Thanks for the info. Other than a weak web cam (can easily be upgraded) and just don't know whether it has backlit keyboard, it will be perfect for him.
    I'll let him know about this laptop.
  • padgett
    Options
    Don't think there was any mention of a backlit keyboard. Are nice to have.