Acer Switch SA5-271: automatically switching between laptop & tablet modes

MAP68
MAP68 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Switch Series
This problem started last week- the laptop is switching between the two modes by itself.  I've gone so far as to deactivate tablet mode, but the problem continues.  The switching can occur every few minutes or go for hours without a problem.  Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this?  Many thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The Switch Alpha 12 has a G sensor on the motherboard, and uses that to select tablet or normal mode, along with looking for the keyboard. IIRC if the keyboard is seen as attached it's assumed to be in laptop mode, if the keyboard is detached it switches to tablet, the displays normal, sideways or inverted depending on screen orientation. If there a chance the keyboard isn't getting detected well enough? Enough gunk near those pogo pins will give intermittent contact.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @MAP68,

How to Enable or Disable Tablet Mode in Windows 10
    1. Go to the Tablet Mode tab under Settings -> System.
    2. Toggle the "make Windows more touch friendly" option on or off.
    3. Select whether the device switches modes automatically, prompts you or never switches.
  • MAP68
    Ok I've changed some of the tablet settings- will see if this works!
  • MAP68
    edited November 2021
    billsey said:
    The Switch Alpha 12 has a G sensor on the motherboard, and uses that to select tablet or normal mode, along with looking for the keyboard. IIRC if the keyboard is seen as attached it's assumed to be in laptop mode, if the keyboard is detached it switches to tablet, the displays normal, sideways or inverted depending on screen orientation. If there a chance the keyboard isn't getting detected well enough? Enough gunk near those pogo pins will give intermittent contact.
    I've tried cleaning the pins, but it didn't work although I think you're right about the source of the problem... thanks!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Don't just clean the pins, clean out that whole groove so the magnets can hold everything together tighter.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.