Is my charger under size? 15" screen Acer E15 E5-573-35AQ

Whirly
Whirly Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
  Is my charger under size? 
  Separate question from yesterday:  A friend gave me this laptop, the Acer E15 E5-573-35AQ, and when the computer wasn't plugged in for months, it beeped when I plugged it in. 
  Today I used Nirsoft's BatteryInfoView and saw that when it was under 80% charged, its state changes back and forth and sometimes it's listed as Discharging,   or    Discharging, AC Power    or    Charging, AC Power.      Discharging, AC Power!!!!
  Then I noticed that the charger is little and only 1.58 amps for a 15" screen. The ones they are selling for this model are all 3.42 amps.  A big difference.  Are the new ones overkill?   (And it has a 2-prong plug when the ones for sale now have 3 prongs.)  Even though it eventually gets above 80% and to 100%, is there some reason I should still buy a bigger charger?   I'm really not in a hurry, and it did get up to 100% from 80% after 90 minutesr or so
  If 1.58 amps is enough, somewhere I have a car charger for a little winXP Acer Aspire One that would mean, if I can find it,  I don't have to buy a charger for this one.  That would also save money.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The 573 specs call for either a 2.37amp (45watt) or 3.42amp(65 watt for 573G model) charger at 19vdc. So yes a 1.58amp(30watt) charger is a bit anemic in keeping the battery charged if you want to do much with it. It should keep the battery charged if it's off or screen on low brightness and not too many apps running at the same time.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The 573 specs call for either a 2.37amp (45watt) or 3.42amp(65 watt for 573G model) charger at 19vdc. So yes a 1.58amp(30watt) charger is a bit anemic in keeping the battery charged if you want to do much with it. It should keep the battery charged if it's off or screen on low brightness and not too many apps running at the same time.

Jack E/NJ

• Whirly
    Whirly Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thanks Jack.   You lend support  to my wife, who says I should leave it off ALLthe time.   I guess it will stay fully charged then.   I'll buy the right charger but hope to find the earlier car charger.  I only used passed computers in the car a few times, and I didn't do more than 2 things at the same time. And half the times it was at night when the screen woudln't have to be bright.