Drive Upgrades for my PO3-600?

Options
Ronnie911
Ronnie911 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Predator Desktops
I have a PO3-600 (8700,RTX2070). I have not build any systems before, but have done some basic stuff myself like replacing an M2 drive, and a CPU cooler (on other PCs), so for the most consider me a noob.

About the system:
- It has a 500GB Crucial P5 Plus M.2 Drive (OS) and a 1TB Segate HDD
- it looks like i have only 1 m.2 slots, so despite my strong preference to add an M.2, i don't see that as an option (unless i replace my 500GB drive, which i don't want to)

I would like to add a second drive, hopefully without replacing the HDD. Primary Only reason: faster loading of games.

I see two options:
  1. Disconnect the Optical drive and use the power/SATA cables for a new 2.5" internal SATA SSD (Crucial MX 500 1 TB)
  2. Choose an external drive like Samsung T7 using USB

For 1, the reason i chose to disconnect the DVD drive was, i do not see an additional power cable around. I thought i could disconnect my optical drive and use the same power/SATA cable for the new SATA SSD. Is this doable? Would i get the required speeds (560 MB/s) if i use the same cable as the DVD drive (which i believe is SATA)

For 2: The cost difference is negligible now (about $10) with black friday sales and seems like T7 drive is much faster. I am not sure if the external drive may be slower with loading times, depsite being rated faster as it's connected to a USB 3.1 externally. But my PS5 has a 2TB Samsung QVO connected to it externally and it (seems to) load most games around the same time as the internal drive. 

Which one is better? I am leaning towards 2 for now. 

I would appreciate expert guidance. Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have three SATA ports on the motherboard, one is connected to the ODD, another to your existing HDD and the third is available for another 3.5" or 2.5" drive. The drive mounting plate has holes to support two drives. So, just pick up a big SATA SSD and a SATA cable and install it. :)
    The PCIe x1 adapter is going to run at PCIe x1 speeds, which are not any faster than a SATA SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Ronnie911
    Ronnie911 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options

i have an additional question.

I see a PCIEx1 adaptor like this which can take an M.2. Will this work as i do have a spare PCIEx1 slot. The thing is, it's vertical, so not sure if it would fit,but i guess the case should have enough depth. 

If it does, i have two additional questions:
    1. Will it be stable enough, should i be worried that it will fall off?
    2. do i need to attach a passive cooler to it? The heatsink itself is very cheap, i am mostly concerned about added weight causing further instability. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have three SATA ports on the motherboard, one is connected to the ODD, another to your existing HDD and the third is available for another 3.5" or 2.5" drive. The drive mounting plate has holes to support two drives. So, just pick up a big SATA SSD and a SATA cable and install it. :)
    The PCIe x1 adapter is going to run at PCIe x1 speeds, which are not any faster than a SATA SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.