How to use a 24pin+8pin motherboard on Acer T3-715?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
I have seen someone's T3-715 with a Asus Q170M2 motherboard in the machine.
Q170M2's power wiring is 24pin + 8pin connectors.
Where as T3-715's board is 24pin + 4pin connectors.
Question:
How to plug the 4pin plug into the 8pin socket?  Which pins to connect?  Which pins not to connect?
Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    They have either replaced the power supply, are only connected with the four in the socket for eight or have used an adapter cable to go between 4 and 8, shorting the available power to the motherboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    They have either replaced the power supply, are only connected with the four in the socket for eight or have used an adapter cable to go between 4 and 8, shorting the available power to the motherboard.
    Thank you.

"shorting the available power to the motherboard."
    How does this affect the performance of the motherboard, please ?
  • billsey
    It doesn't unless the motherboard is designed with the possibility of installing two or more GPU cards. Only those designs need the additional current from the 8 pin connector.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    It doesn't unless the motherboard is designed with the possibility of installing two or more GPU cards. Only those designs need the additional current from the 8 pin connector.
    Thanks. Someone says somewhere, use a 24pin + 4pin power supply on a 24pin + 8pin motherboard will cause the board unstable. If this is true, then whatever on the board will be not running stably either. Your opinion, please?
  • billsey
    Under powering a MB is a good way to get some weird glitches. Unless you are planning on moving your gaming up to the point where multiple GPU would help I'd stay with a MB that uses the 24+4 design. Doing the conversion cable thing to allow a 24+4 PSU to connect with the 24+8 MB just leaves the 8 pins providing half the potential current load. If you don't have a second GPU installed it likely wouldn't need to draw the extra current and it would work fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    Under powering a MB is a good way to get some weird glitches. Unless you are planning on moving your gaming up to the point where multiple GPU would help I'd stay with a MB that uses the 24+4 design. Doing the conversion cable thing to allow a 24+4 PSU to connect with the 24+8 MB just leaves the 8 pins providing half the potential current load. If you don't have a second GPU installed it likely wouldn't need to draw the extra current and it would work fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Boards with 24+8 power supply are designed for playing games. I don't think it is a good choice to have a 24+8 board replacing T3-715's board which doesn't have a good PSU.

May I ask, will you please recommend a MB for replacing Acer T3-715 MB?

• billsey
    edited November 2021
    No, there are too many factors involved for me to make a suggestion like that. Boards designed with a 24+8 connector are due to the designer thinking the user will need more current on the +12V circuit than normal. Here is a site that might help to explain, of it's not too technical... Basically, if your MB has the 24+4 you want a PSU with either 24+4 or 24+4+4 (with the 8 pin connector split in two), if your motherboard has the 24+8 connectors you want a PSU that has either 24+8 or 24+4+4. Your best be in all cases if to choose a PSU that gives the widest compatibility, but if you already have the PSU find a motherboard that matches.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    No, there are too many factors involved for me to make a suggestion like that. Boards designed with a 24+8 connector are due to the designer thinking the user will need more current on the +12V circuit than normal. Here is a site that might help to explain, of it's not too technical... Basically, if your MB has the 24+4 you want a PSU with either 24+4 or 24+4+4 (with the 8 pin connector split in two), if your motherboard has the 24+8 connectors you want a PSU that has either 24+8 or 24+4+4. Your best be in all cases if to choose a PSU that gives the widest compatibility, but if you already have the PSU find a motherboard that matches.

Thank you.

Thank you even your reply to my last question is no.  Yes.  I fully understand.  Too many factors involved.  And I thank you for all the help you have provided me on this forum.

I am 90% certain the issue on my T3-715 is the MB. I am able or almost able to change the MB.  Right now the problem is to find the right MB for replacing the one of T3-715.  Acer does not have their own MB for T3-715, the board is a custom made one.  There is an Acer T3-715 MB if searching it on Google.  But there is no information about who made it, the scpecs, and its model number.   Many people say its just a uATX board, any of of the uATX boards is usable to replace the Acer T3-715.  Yes, it is just one of the uATX boards, but certainly not any one of the uATX boards is "right" to replace the Acer T3-715 board.

Many vendors claim the uATX board they sell can replace Acer T3-715 MB.  But there is no further reply if a second question "What if it doesn't work right?" is asked.  

Now I am almost sure that many uATX boards or eve most uATX boards can start the machine & boot in Windows 10 if they are compatible with Intel i5, of 6th generation, & 1151 pins.  In this case, yes, many uATX boards can replace the one of Acer T3-715.  But that's not all a PC is built for.

On the other hand, I really do not demand much on the PC I am using.  I am an amateur photographer.  All I do on my PC is 1. watching NBC news, and 2. processing my photographic files, usually RAW & TIFF files.  The heaviest app my PC runs is Photoshop.  I do not install other apps except for Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Shadow Defender (always run my PC in virtual mode). 

With that said, do you think I need a heavy duty MB? 

The PSU of Acer T3-715 is a 500W max. one.  Acer T3-715 is not super fast, yet fast enough for my photo processing work.

My previous question about the 8pin & 4pin was because of the Asus MB Q170M2.  I paid for a gentleman repairing my PC.  He replaced Acer T3-714 MB with Asus Q170M2.  Three days later, he reverted my PC & refunded me.  He installed a different version of Windows on the PC.  I asked him ro reactivated my original SO on the SSD.  Then, he reverted the PC.  Then I thought over and over about the whole thing.  I guess, the "why" is 1. that MB is remodeled, and 2. that MB did not have the S/N which is required for reactivating my original OS.  Am I right?

Then I wanted to buy Q170M2 from Asus.  And that was why I came to ask the question about the 8pin and 4pin on motherboards.

Unfortunately, Asus has no Q170M2 to sell now.     
  • billsey
    I don't see any obvious reason why the Asus Q170M2 wouldn't work fine, though it has a couple of features you likely won't need, such as the second Ethernet port and the old style PCI slots. Did your technician has some problem with that MB? I see it has the 8 pin +12V connector, to allow driving cards for the old style PCI slots, so a different board might have been a better choice. My guess is he chose this one because he had it in stock. If I were building a system using it I'd replace the PSU with one that has the larger connector and put an M.2 SSD in if your old system didn't already have one.