Hi, I just upgraded my ram from 8gb to 16 but my laptop only recognizes 12gb. Aspire A115-31

Inyakund
Inyakund Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2021 in Windows 11
I have tried most solutions online but none really works. My bios also shows 12gb. 
I have a 64bit system of windows 11. I also updated my bios to the latest version. 
the previous memory I had was fully detected. 
here's my system info;
 Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
 System Model Aspire A115-31
 System Type x64-based PC
 Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4120 CPU @ 1.10GHz, 1101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
 BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.10, 2021-06-24
 Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB 
 Total Physical Memory 11.8 GB

I think its not a hardware problem but if anyone knows the solution or the answer to why this is happening, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.  

Answers

• Hi,
    This model comes with 4GB onboard memory(soldered) and a slot for upgrade, you can install up to 8GB in the slot to make the total memory of 12GB, could you please tell us how did you manage to upgrade to 16GB in this model.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/608554/i-can-add-more-ram-and-ssd-aser-aspire-1-a115-31-c2y3
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Yes, when you replaced the 4GB stick with an 8GB stick, it only added 4GB to your original 8GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Inyakund,

Acer Aspire Notebook A115-31-C23T Compatible Memory / RAM Upgrades. Sorry, there are no Memory upgrades available for this model. The manufacturer may have installed the maximum RAM or the RAM slots may be inaccessible. It is also possible that the supported RAM type is no longer available.
  • Inyakund
    Inyakund Member Posts: 2 New User
    Actually I had 4gb which is what the laptop came with originally then I purchased a 16gb ram stick thinking the total ram was going to add up to 20gb combined with the preinstalled one but it instead adds up to 12. it didnt even get to 16gb.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    That is correct, spec says your max with the 4GB motherboard is 12GB, using the 4GB on the MB and 8GB in the socket. It doesn't support a 16GB stick in that socket, so would only see the first 8GB. Swap the 16 out with your vendor and get an 8GB instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.