Aspire a715-72g-530a won't start after RAM upgrade

ivasyck
ivasyck Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hey. I got 2x16 gigs AMD SODIMM DDR4-2666 16384MB PC4-21300 to replace the current RAM in my Aspire a715-72g-530a. But Windows won't start after I put all 2 bricks here. BIOS recognized all 32 gigs, BIOS is updated, the system works fine with just 16 gigs installed. 
Windows won't start can be as a black screen, frozen screen with ACER on it, or the same screen but with white noise stripes on it

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @ivasyck did you try to put 1 new stick first for testing?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ivasyck did you try to put 1 new stick first for testing?
    yep, now I use 1 new stick and 1 old. The new one works well standalone in both ports. 

• Hi @ivasyck
    You are trying to use modules with JEDEC profile(original) and XMP profile(AMD) with different specs, you have to use modules with same specs, if you want to use AMD modules  in your laptop, you have to use 2 with same specs(2666MHz), if you want to use another module with the existing Hynix module, buy another 8GB DDR4 2400MHz and install.
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

Hi @ivasyck
    You are trying to use modules with JEDEC profile(original) and XMP profile(AMD) with different specs, you have to use modules with same specs, if you want to use AMD modules  in your laptop, you have to use 2 with same specs(2666MHz), if you want to use another module with the existing Hynix module, buy another 8GB DDR4 2400MHz and install.
    Hynix + AMD work great
    1x AMD work great
    2x AMD don't work at all
  • AnhEZ28
    @ivasyck so the other stick is not working or won't working together with the 16GB stick? Also try not to use XMP ram because the BIOS doesn't support XMP and can have some problems.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ivasyck so the other stick is not working or won't working together with the 16GB stick? Also try not to use XMP ram because the BIOS doesn't support XMP and can have some problems.
    the other stick works too. but I can start windows with two sticks. and it's almost impossible to find non-XMP DDR4 in my country
  • AnhEZ28
    @ivasyck other normal ram stick like samsung hynix,... are rare in your country?
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    @ivasyck other normal ram stick like samsung hynix,... are rare in your country?
    in 16GB size, they are rare, but there is a lot of 8 gigs "normal ram sticks"
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @ivasyck,

Is the RAM showing in BIOS page. 
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @ivasyck,

Is the RAM showing in BIOS page. 
    hey. yep, all 32 gigs. I think it can be a problem with VGA drivers, intel graphic card uses shareable memory. just didn't have enough time to reinstall them. I'll try this on weekend
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

I reinstalled windows and reset CMOS with no luck. I have run memtest today and that's what I've got, then test just freeze
  • AnhEZ28
    @ivasyck does the test freeze if you use the stock ram?
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 no, it's not freezing when I test the stock RAM, 16 gigs of new RAM in any port, or 16 gigs with stock RAM
  • AnhEZ28
    @ivasyck that's might be the problem with XMP ram. You might have to stick with 1 XMP with stock or other non-XMP ram.
  • ivasyck

Tinkerer

Thanks @AnhEZ28 I probably stay with that laptop for a while and then just switch to intel NUC. I don't understand Acer logic, two XMP sticks work fine on older aspire laptops but don't work with mine Aspire 7 (A715-71G-79Z1) XMP support — Acer Community