Aspire 7 (A715-71G-79Z1) XMP support

hosseinskandari
hosseinskandari Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello.
I have the above model and I installed 32Gb rams with XMP capability. However, I can see that they are not running on XMP mode. 
There are several bios updates available for the laptop:
1- should I run them one by one?
2- Do they enable XMP?
This is the CPUZ screenshot

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>There are several bios updates available for the laptop: 1- should I run them one by one? 2- Do they enable XMP?>>>

NO!!! Don't mess with the BIOS firmware.  First check to see what BIOS version is installed. Then the available setting options therein. It's highly unlikely that any of the updates will offer any additional features. And each flash attempt carries a significant risk of bricking the machine. Don't do it for the minimal frequency advantage that this RAM offers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Do not try to update the BIOS firmware on a functional machine unless it specifically addresses your XMP issue. None of them do. The risk of bricking is too great to experiment with firmware changes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>There are several bios updates available for the laptop: 1- should I run them one by one? 2- Do they enable XMP?>>>

NO!!! Don't mess with the BIOS firmware.  First check to see what BIOS version is installed. Then the available setting options therein. It's highly unlikely that any of the updates will offer any additional features. And each flash attempt carries a significant risk of bricking the machine. Don't do it for the minimal frequency advantage that this RAM offers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hosseinskandari

Tinkerer

JackE said:

So you recommend to not updating bios even if the new version is released by ACER on the exact webpage of the product?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Do not try to update the BIOS firmware on a functional machine unless it specifically addresses your XMP issue. None of them do. The risk of bricking is too great to experiment with firmware changes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hosseinskandari

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Duly noted! Thanks for the suggestion.