Rom copy on Predator PO9-900_RGB

Options
Clemzini
Clemzini Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi all, I'm trying to sort out a friends computer for him (Product Support | Acer United Kingdom). When trying to start the computer, everything lights up for a split second then shuts down again - after that it will continuously try to start on it's own but is stuck in a loop until you turn the power off. I've confirmed the PSU is fine by putting it in another PC, and after much googling and searching here, I tried switching it over from ROM A to ROM B (followed the instructions so power off, flick switch, clear CMOS button then boot). The PC fired up for about 10 seconds then shut down, this happened again but on the third boot it went into BIOS. I reset the date and time and rebooted and it's back into Windows fine. If I try setting it back to ROM A, it goes straight back to the split second on/off loop again. I'm currently trying to backup ROM A from ROM B - I've gone back to BIOS, held the ROM backup button for 4 seconds and the LED is busy blinking away. I'm starting to think something isn't going well however as it's now been 20 mins and it's still blinking away - any ideas on how long this should take? If this has gone wrong, would it be worth trying a BIOS update and if so, I'm guessing it would need to update on ROM B and then try the copy back to ROM A?

Many thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    They don't give any indication in the Service Guide as to how long it is supposed to take for the backup. I'd expect it to be slow since they are going to be trying to be as robust as possible so lots of error checking. It's been a few hours now, how long did it take to complete?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Clemzini
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It never did, I got to about 7:30pm (so 3 1/2 hours give or take) and the LED was still flashing away so I aborted things. 
  • billsey
    Options
    I wonder if there is a hardware issue with the EEPROM...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Clemzini
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking the same. The issue started after a power surge and originally thought it had taken out the PSU but that later tested fine. Everything else seems to be fine but certainly looking like ROM A is fried.
  • billsey
    Options
    It seems like it was only 30-40 years ago when my computers all had the ROMs and EPROMs socketed, for easy removal. :)