Windows 7 installation error on Acer One tab

arhamini45
arhamini45 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2021 in Tablets

My Acer One tab came with windows 10. It has an SSD drive. I am trying to install windows 7 in a free partition. But when I try to boot using windows 7 pen drive, the installation does not start at all. I tried booting with a linux pen drive and it worked well, so I doubt if this is a pen drive boot issue.

Then I copied windows 7 setup in windows 10 and ran Setup. On partition step, windows 7 started giving error while on load driver button click - "Windows need driver for this device [Intel SSD Host Controller]" .

Is this driver issue or windows 7 not supported on acer one tab?
I dont want to completely format my drive for windows 7 and the windows 10 running version is licensed. If I format, I will loose the original windows 10

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @arhamini45,

Yes you will loose the original win 10.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    No, there aren't drivers for many of the Windows 7 functions on this tablet, as is the case with most newer designs. Depending on which Windows 7 install image you are trying to use it might not support UEFI booting, which uses a GPT drive instead of the old MBR. Any of the modern Linux distributions will also use UEFI, so they won't have problems, other than possibly not supporting some of the drivers. Windows 7 sp1, the last service pack released for Windows 7 should support a UEFI system and could likely be installed, but with some or most of the driver not available. Typically the things that don't work on the older OSes are things like the chipset drivers, security drivers like fingerprint readers, and IO drivers like WiFi and Bluetooth.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2021
    Did you format the Win 7 flash drive for GPT/UEFI. If your device has the BIOS set for Secure Boot and not Legacy then the flash drive will need to be configured for Secure Boot (Rufus 3.17 can do this) and you may need to add the USB0 bootx64.efi file to the BIOS directory. This could be why some flash drives boot and others do not.
    Last Win 7 I have is sp 3 and was an important update.
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi @ arhamini45
    Please mention your model name of unit