Acer T3-715 How to test whether the boot manager on SSD is good or corrupted ?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Acer T3-715 freezes at the beginning of boot, at acer logo (BIOS info). I want to make sure if the issue is the boot manager on the SSD.
How to test, please"

Thank you.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited November 2021
    My opinion is to first, REPLACE the bios battery by leaving it out for a couple of hours then replacing.
    Measure your system temp either in your bios or an app like Speccy.
    Then either run disk checkers in Speccy or in safe mode diagnostics. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Kuen,

Freezing during startup may be a sign that your hardware is going bad. Hard drive problems will damage data and stop your operating system from booting up. RAM is a common culprit that can cause boot problems; as with your hard drive, RAM can be corrupted by malware or simply malfunction with age.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Easiest way to test that is to remove the SSD and boot. It should go to an operating system not installed message.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    Larryodie said:
    My opinion is to first, REPLACE the bios battery by leaving it out for a couple of hours then replacing.
    Thank you.

"REPLACE the bios battery"
    Already did before this post.

"
    run disk checkers"
    Will do that.  Thanks.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Kuen said:
    Larryodie said:
    Thank you.

"REPLACE the bios battery"
    Already did before this post.

"run disk checkers"
    Will do that.  Thanks.
    After fully reading your post, I don't think that you will be able to get to disk checkers.  I would disconnect all USB ports and swap the swap around RAM to minimums. Easwar and billsey have great advice.
  • Kuen
    Easwar said:
    Hi @Kuen,

Freezing during startup may be a sign that your hardware is going bad. Hard drive problems will damage data and stop your operating system from booting up. RAM is a common culprit that can cause boot problems; as with your hard drive, RAM can be corrupted by malware or simply malfunction with age.
    Thank you.

Yes.  How to test the SSD to make sure whether the SSD itself is bad or the boot manager on the SSD is bad?
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    Easiest way to test that is to remove the SSD and boot. It should go to an operating system not installed message.
    Thank you.

Yes.  I did that.  Removed the SSD & SATA hard drive and turned power on.
    No difference.  The PC behaved the same, with or without the SSD on the board.
    No message.  No any signal.
  • Kuen
    Larryodie said:
    Forgot.  Can not do any test on the PC.  It does not run.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    So, if removing the SSD makes no difference the issue appears before the EFI portion of the BIOS is loaded. You have done the CMOS reset so it's not an issue with the configuration corrupted. That pretty much leaves us with a hardware issue on the motherboard. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.