Is SSD on T3-715 M.2 SATA or M.2 PCI-E ?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
PC : Aspire T3-715 Windows 10 Home 64b.

Replace the motherboard with a different make.  I want to keep the original SSD, a Like On, on the new board. A converter or adapter is needed. 

Is the SSD, a Lite On brand, model CV1-8B 128, M.2 SATA or M.2PCIE  ?

Thank. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    Kuen said:

Replace the motherboard with a different make.  I want to keep the original SSD, a Like On, on the new board. A converter or adapter is needed. 

Thank. 
    Do a Crucial System Scanner that will give you all the memory and SSD drive upgrades for your PC that Crucial makes.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Acer spec says M.2 SATA, not M.2 NVMe, but the port itself is a PCIe 3.0 x4 port. To be safe plan on a SATA, if you have the time and extra cash, try an NVMe first. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    StevenGen said:
    Kuen said:

Thank. 
    Do a Crucial System Scanner that will give you all the memory and SSD drive upgrades for your PC that Crucial makes.  
    Thank you.

No. Can not do that.  I am not using that PC.  It can not be used.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    Acer spec says M.2 SATA, not M.2 NVMe, but the port itself is a PCIe 3.0 x4 port. To be safe plan on a SATA, if you have the time and extra cash, try an NVMe first. :)
    Thank you.

"Acer spec says M.2 SATA, ... but the port itself is a PCIe 3.0 x4 port. "
    How can this be?  I read "
    You can't ever put SATA drive into PCIe. Unless you put SATA controller there first."
    Did Acer put a SATA controller on the board?
    This is odd, extremely odd.  Acer is known for cutting corners & costs.  Why would they put an extra SATA controller on the board just for the cheap LiteOn 128G SSD?

Unreasonable!

Any comments, please?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Yes, most SATA implementations in the chipsets use a PCIe bus for the connection. PCIe doesn't require you also implement NVMe protocols.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.