COM ports not working afer Window 11 upgrade - Aspire A515-54

Options
Windy752
Windy752 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2021 in Windows 11
Hi,

Last week I installed Windows 11 on my Aspire A515-54 (after being invited to do so by Microsoft). Today I tried to connect my Arduino but found the COM ports were missing, I managed to get them back in Device Manager but there is still something wrong, the device status for the COM port has a message saying "Windows cannot determine the setting for this device ... Code 34". Do I need a driver update, Windows Update says everything is up to date.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Usually no driver update required. Another USB device may already be using the com port address that the Arduino is trying to use. You probably have a red or yellow warning somewhere in Device Manager if the Arduino is actually being detected. You must determine the  com port address that the Arduino is trying to use and manually enter it in the Device Manager properties.

Jack E/NJ

• Windy752
    Windy752 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Jack, many thanks for the response but I still have a problem, I have done a bit more playing around and perhaps I need to clarify my original post. Firstly the device I was using was not an genuine Arduino but an Adafruit Feather which uses the Arduino IDE. When I connected the Feather no COM port appeared in the Device Manager, after reading some advice on the net I tried creating one manually which is when I got the Code 34 error, obviously something wrong in the config. Last night I tried connecting a real Arduino UNO and this worked with COM 3 port being created. However, the Adafruit Feather still does not work (it used to work on Windows 10 before the Windows 11 upgrade), but this looks like the issue is with the Feather so have raised on the Adafruit support forum.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Last night I tried connecting a real Arduino UNO and this worked with COM 3 port being created. >>>

Can you see all of its Device Manager com3 properties?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Many of the off market Arduino boards have a different UART installed than Adafruit uses. You likely need a driver for the CH340 used by them.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.