Aspire GX-781 How do I remove a HHD password?

Filtaquip
Filtaquip Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
We have an Acer Aspire GX-781 Desktop and we installed a new M.2 SSD, we installed windows 10 Pro and it worked for about 1 week and then ran into the blue screen of death. After restarting, the bios didn't pick up the drive. We unseated the drive and reinstalled and it booted up. I tried to run a windows update and it crashed again. Restarted and again bios did not pick up the SSD. Eventually, after a few times, it did boot but it asked for an HHD password. I checked the bios and there was no HHD password selected? We don't know the password? After 3 attempts it says that I must contact Acer and gives me a code and below that is a text box. I phoned Acer and they say that I must take it to the nearest service centre. Is there any way to unlock the HHD without taking it to an Acer repair centre?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, security issues like this require a trip to the service center for them to remove the password. I'd guess the drive is in a failure mode that corrupted stuff enough for it to think it has a password set.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Did you look in Security as this video ? 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcLm_AqTYY
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi @ Filtaquip
    Power on your computer and press F2 or Delete to enter the bios. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight Security or BIOS Security Features tab. Use the arrow keys to highlight Set HDD Password or Change HDD Password depending on your model. Press Enter
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, security issues like this require a trip to the service center for them to remove the password. I'd guess the drive is in a failure mode that corrupted stuff enough for it to think it has a password set.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Filtaquip
    Larryodie said:

Yes, but what if you don't know the Current HHD password?
  • Larryodie
    Filtaquip said:
    Larryodie said:

Yes, but what if you don't know the Current HHD password?
    Hmmmm, I don't know ?
  • Larryodie
    billsey said:
    I tend to agree with billsey. But if you installed a new M.2 SSD, I'd be looking for a in-warranty or replacement for the NEW M.2 SSD
  • Filtaquip
    where is the nearest repair centre in Johannesburg? And can I just take the drive or must the whole PC go?
  • billsey
    You will have to contact Acer Support for South Africa to get that info. They should have the answer and can likely setup an appointment.