Can you change the motherboard in PO3-620?

Options
PrskMate
PrskMate Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2021 in Predator Desktops
In the future, not now, I will want to use a next gen CPU and DDR5 rams, so instead of buying new pc's all the time, I was thinking about what if I just fit a new mobo with the new CPU and rams in this one. Is it possible? If yes, what type should I look for? I will want to use a i9 CPU. (I need it for content creating, not the games).

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sure, you might end up also changing the PSU and if you are doing an upgrade you're also going to be replacing the CPU, GPU and memory. What you likely won't get is those nifty front ports, since the Acer motherboard has them on a "diving board" at the front. DTX and microATX boards should both fit fine except for those front ports. For front ports you will likely be doing some creative cabling...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PrskMate
    Options
    billsey said:
    Sure, you might end up also changing the PSU and if you are doing an upgrade you're also going to be replacing the CPU, GPU and memory. What you likely won't get is those nifty front ports, since the Acer motherboard has them on a "diving board" at the front. DTX and microATX boards should both fit fine except for those front ports. For front ports you will likely be doing some creative cabling...
    Thanks the info! But is it necessary to change the gpu too? I mean, I think with this one I could be working for many years if it fits in. I need a strong gpu, but I don't need the strongest and the newest all the time. Beside the fact that I just can't imagine that one day gpu-s will become affordable again :)))). This means that if I will have to buy a new gpu too, it will be more affordable to simply buy a new p.c. when I will feel that I need an upgrade.
  • billsey
    Options
    Sure it will likely run fine for years, but during those years newer and better games will continue to come out, each wanting more and more. :) It's the nature of the market... From the tone of your first post I was assuming you were already talking about years down the road, and likely then, as now, there will be good solutions for a GPU that aren't necessarily the top tier cards. So, maybe the equivalent of a 3060 vs the 3090 now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PrskMate
    Options
    billsey said:
    Sure it will likely run fine for years, but during those years newer and better games will continue to come out, each wanting more and more. :) It's the nature of the market... From the tone of your first post I was assuming you were already talking about years down the road, and likely then, as now, there will be good solutions for a GPU that aren't necessarily the top tier cards. So, maybe the equivalent of a 3060 vs the 3090 now.
    Sure thing, but my main activity is graphic design, this is the first reason I bought this p.c. . About games, well yes I also play, but things like Diablo 3 or sometimes NFS most wanted, occasionally. Anyways, I'm having now an nVidia 2070 super, just for curiosity, what newer GPU fits my PO3-620 model with the 500w psu? Because I understood I will not find any bigger psu compatible with my actual mobo.
  • billsey
    Options
    They are shipping the new systems with 3070s and that same size supply.